1939 Farmall A

/ 1939 Farmall A #1  

Bungiex88

Tractor
73 Farmall 574, 2016 mahindra 1533
I have a 1939 a and was wondering what the original configuration is as far as electrical. There is no battery or starter. I dont even think theres a cover were an optional starter goes. Can anyone tell me if a 1939 came from factory with a starting system or not. Id like to restore this tractor but i dont know anything about it. Just trying to make sure as far as distributor cap should be on this tractor and does it have a generatir or magneto i have no idea. I bought a manual for it but its a general manual for all the a痴.

/ 1939 Farmall A #2  
I had a quick look on tractordata.com and they said that both engine versions (gasoline/petrol or kerosene) had an optional electric start.

Electrical ground is positive.

/ 1939 Farmall A #3  
if there is no battery, it isn't battery ignition. ;) It should then have a magneto. if it has a magneto, it may or may not have a starter.

So you might have a hand crank model with a magneto.

/ 1939 Farmall A #4  
1939 was the first year of the IH styled tractors. As mentioned, starters were an option. I had a '39 B. Pretty bare bones model, There was no hole in the torque tube for a starter on mine. Just a hand crank, with mag.

/ 1939 Farmall A #5  
I have a 1939 a and was wondering what the original configuration is as far as electrical. There is no battery or starter. I dont even think theres a cover were an optional starter goes. Can anyone tell me if a 1939 came from factory with a starting system or not. Id like to restore this tractor but i dont know anything about it. Just trying to make sure as far as distributor cap should be on this tractor and does it have a generatir or magneto i have no idea. I bought a manual for it but its a general manual for all the aç—´.

WOW! that would be a antique tractor show hit I expect. The one I entered with our 1966 Ford 3000 with the one arm loader had many old Farmalls but I think all were rubber tired.

/ 1939 Farmall A #6  
They made a lot of A's and most ALL of the early tractors lacked electric start, like was already said, it was optional...

My A does have electric start, but I have other models that don't, and it does start pretty easy with the crank.

When you go to a show around here, a manual start model isn't uncommon at all...

SR

/ 1939 Farmall A #7  
I had so much with the 6 volt system on my WD there were months when I used the hand crank more than the starter.

/ 1939 Farmall A #8  
my c had a starter and a battery ignition. when I bought it the starter was packed with mud and bad. I ran cables from my truck tot he ignition coil and hand cranked it setting out in the field.. had no oil pressure gauge but I always carry one with me hooked to a grease gun hose. had oil pressure but crank seal was gone on timing cover so puked oil fast, but ran, so I brought it home.