Farmall A - steering

/ Farmall A - steering #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
The Farmall A has a steering box where the worm gear is in. On the top is a square plug and a grease zerk. Should I just fill up the zerk or add gear oil in the square plug? Or both?

Is the drain plug the bolt that partially backed out and prevented me from turning right?
Thanks.

/ Farmall A - steering #2  
I have a cub, not an A.. but I would guess the A uses oil.. not grease. However.. I've seen lotsa steering boxes converted to grease. On the ford N's I collect it is verry common for people to remove the fill bolt and drill/tap it for a grease fitting, due to leaky oil seals.

Before I would try straight axle grease.. I would try a pourable grease.. like a cornhead oil.. very stiff oil.. but does flow.

If that leaks too much.. go grease.

You mention not steering in one direction.

I havn't had my cubs worm apart.. but have rebuilt steering in my ford 8n and JD-B.. and usually a no steering to 'x' direction is a thrust bearing going out.. allowing the steering shaft to move in or out a bit.. and bind against the sector gear.

Perhaps someone with some A experience will chime in.

Soundguy

/ Farmall A - steering
Thanks Soundguy. I fixed the "steering only left problem" by tightening up a bolt that had backed out on the left side of the steering t-rod(?). The t-rod (or whatever you call it) would jamb up against the bolt head turning right. As you can tell by the photo there might be a slight seal problem and the grease might be the way to go. I'll try the heavy oil first. Both a bolt plug and a grease zerk are on the top of the steering box.

Attachments

• 460157-farmall steering.jpg
    460157-farmall steering.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,559
   / Farmall A - steering #4  
The top casting of the Super A steering gear housing is rather like an inverted cup, or a diving bell. In the top center of the bell is a cast retainer for the sector shaft bearing. The sector shaft is vertical so the bearing lies horizontally. The grease zerk is positioned just above the open bearing and lubes the bearing. If oil were used it would fall right through the bearing.

The top plug is the fill plug for the worm/sector oil. The middle elevation plug on the aft side of the upper casting is the oil level indicator and lies about halfway up the worm/sector in elevation. The lowest plug on the right side of the casting is the drain plug. The joint/seal between the upper casting and lower casting (from which projects the steering center arm) keeps the oil in.

In the center of the lower casting is the passthrough/support for the lower portion of the sector shaft. This casting extends upward to about the level of the side fill plug, meaning that oil cannot leak out down through the sector shaft bushing as long as the oil isn't overfilled. The photo of your steering gear shows that oil has been leaking out between the upper and lower castings. I don't know if there is a gasket between upper and lower castings, or whether it's a metal to metal fit. If there's no gasket, Form-a-gasket should work.

This description does imply that excess grease from the top sector bearing WILL makes its way into the oil supply.

/ Farmall A - steering #5  
The top casting of the Super A steering gear housing is rather like an inverted cup, or a diving bell. In the top center of the bell is a cast retainer for the sector shaft bearing. The sector shaft is vertical so the bearing lies horizontally. The grease zerk is positioned just above the open bearing and lubes the bearing. If oil were used it would fall right through the bearing.

The top plug is the fill plug for the worm/sector oil. The middle elevation plug on the aft side of the upper casting is the oil level indicator and lies about halfway up the worm/sector in elevation. The lowest plug on the right side of the casting is the drain plug. The joint/seal between the upper casting and lower casting (from which projects the steering center arm) keeps the oil in.

In the center of the lower casting is the passthrough/support for the lower portion of the sector shaft. This casting extends upward to about the level of the side fill plug, meaning that oil cannot leak out down through the sector shaft bushing as long as the oil isn't overfilled. The photo of your steering gear shows that oil has been leaking out between the upper and lower castings. I don't know if there is a gasket between upper and lower castings, or whether it's a metal to metal fit. If there's no gasket, Form-a-gasket should work.

This description does imply that excess grease from the top sector bearing WILL makes its way into the oil supply.

Just bought an A last night with an IH belly mower and a 4foot Bush Hog mower. Good runner, older example, converted to DR alternator as I have all my other Farmalls. No Hydraulic, but doubt I will add as the arm raised the mower pretty easy. I have a Cub as well that has been restored.

Leightman, thnaks for the explanation as it is timely. On inspection it was obvious the zerk was factory. I grew up on an H and the Cub, but that was new to me... thanks again.

/ Farmall A - steering #6  
I had a chance to buy an 49 H about 10 ys back and passed up on it.. it was good money and had a nice wide belly deck on it. i shoulda done it.. kick muself for not jumping on it.

soundguy

/ Farmall A - steering #7  
I had a chance to buy an 49 H about 10 ys back and passed up on it.. it was good money and had a nice wide belly deck on it. i shoulda done it.. kick muself for not jumping on it.

soundguy

Cub just does not have the soup to turn the mower as well as it might. That same motor was on a pull type combine I am told and rated there at 18, which would help. The A however does a nice job with the 3 spindle belly mower, to not have LP. I need a super C and an MD or an MTA to have the set. Don't want a regular M, but none are stock, too much fun to try to drag them into the useful era of farming one bolt at a time. I just label the old parts and put them in the shed.

IH can thank Allis for pushing them into the 300-400 tractors with the WD.

/ Farmall A - steering #8  
I have a cub and agree.. it has a belly deck made by IH.. and it will top blacktop bahia.. but no real thick grass.

soundguy

/ Farmall A - steering #9  
I have a cub and agree.. it has a belly deck made by IH.. and it will top blacktop bahia.. but no real thick grass.

soundguy

Still love my cub though. I grew up on it, cultivating point row corn and the garden. It is a member of the family. Everyone needs a cub.

/ Farmall A - steering #10  
I kinda wish mine had a sickle bar mower onit.. if it did.. I'd get into hobby hay...

that and perhaps a stationry bailer and a small rake... wouldn't bee too much cash to get into it.. etc..

soundguy