Air Cleaner oil cup rusted out on Farmall 100

/ Air Cleaner oil cup rusted out on Farmall 100 #1  

Ramon

Tractor
Farmall 100
The Air Cleaner Oil Cup (at the bottom of the Air Cleaner Assembly) on my Farmall 100 is rusted out. Based on the parts manual, I have the United Specialties brand. Several questions
1. Can I just replace the Oil Cup or should I consider replacing the whole Air Cleaner body as well.
2. What is inside the Air Cleaner body and do things go wrong with it. In the parts manual, they say the body is one piece so it doesn't appear like it is meant to be opened up or fixed but you guys probably know more...
Thanks
Ramon

/ Air Cleaner oil cup rusted out on Farmall 100 #2  
You can try some JB weld in the bottom if it's not too bad. A rusted out cup is not uncommon since alot of people "forgot" to check the oil level, and replace it when it got too cruddy.

/ Air Cleaner oil cup rusted out on Farmall 100 #3  
Ditto.

If the cup is in any way salvageable, and can be made to hold oil.. go for it.. Lotsa times people let water collect in them.. and they rusted out.

Soundguy

/ Air Cleaner oil cup rusted out on Farmall 100 #4  
The inside of the air cleaner itself is metal much like steel wool. The oil gets sucked into the "wool" and mixes with the air and filters out the dirt. When the tractor is off, the dirty oil settles down in the cup, the dirt falls to the bottom and the cycle starts over next time you fire the engine up.

Actually, the oil bath aircleaner is better than a dry paper one. Problem is, dry paper elements have to be replaced, oil bath elements are cleaned. The replacement filter costs you, the consumer money. The oil bath costs very little money. Talk about progress. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif