Old Farmall

/ Old Farmall #1  

lonesome

Bronze Member
Tractor
International Diesel B414/Case 85XT Skid Loader/2k F250 SuperDuty 7.3 PowerStroke/John Deere 'B'/Allis Chalmers WD45
I have been looking at an old Farmall and would like to maybe see if it is rebuildable. I would guess it is an F12, F14 or F20. It is on rubber now but it looks like the rims are after the fact welded on. It has hand brakes with the cables going to the front of the tractor then back. It has the front cultivator on it. The plug wires are missing as is the hand crank. How do I check for a cracked block? What would it be worth? I looked at it but could not find a serial number. If it helps the engine is connected to the tranny by what looks like a lov-joy coupler. Winters coming and I think I need something to do in the shoppe. Thanks, Steve

/ Old Farmall #2  
Here are a few things that may help. Serial number for F12, F14 and F20 should all be on the front gas tank support bracket.

F14 is an updated F12. Very similar. If oil breather is on left side of engine, it's an F12; if it's on the right side, it's an F14.

F20 is a bigger tractor. The F12/14 has a 76 in wheelbase, the F20 is 85 inches. The F12/14's weigh 2,800 lbs.; the F20 weighs 4,000 lbs. F12/F14's have 3 gear tranny; F20 has 4 gears.

Odds are you will be in for an engine rebuild, but it would be good to know if it is seized and if it will hold any compression. Need the crank and plugs for that!

Good luck... sounds like a fun project if you have the time, tools and space!

/ Old Farmall
Thanks for the insight. As usuall tools and space is not an issue, time..., well thats another story. I never thought to take note of which side the air filter is on and how many speeds there are. Seems the little things always come back to bite you. I'll try to stop by tonight and see if I can find the serial number. I've stopped several times and have never seen a live body anywhere around the area.

Soundguy, Thanks for your PM gave me a couple more things to think about.

-Steve