Help on Farmall H price

/ Help on Farmall H price #1  

RandBMfgInc

Greetings,
I was not looking, but I came across a 1950 Farmall H tricycle style
tractor yesterday, with a post hole digger attached. Looking at it, it
is a pile of rust. However, it runs well, and the post hole digger works well.
Old farmer is selling out, and has no use for it. His father bought it new
in 1950. Asking $800.00. Tires old, but holding air. Alot of rust. 6 volt.
Is this old girl worth $800.00. What is going price for something like this?
Rust is no big deal. I am pretty good at painting. Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks!!! Rick

/ Help on Farmall H price #2  
Unless it had been restored somewhere along the way, it's fairly likely ANY 56 year old tractor that had worked it's entire life would be rusty and worn looking. No points deducted for that.

The venerable H FarmAll is a good ol' tractor. They have their limitations without a 3-point hitch. Still, they sell on their reputation. Around here, a decent H would bring $1000 to $1500 as fast as you could line them up to sell. $800 would start a riot.

/ Help on Farmall H price #3  
No kidding, buy it!

If you don't need it, but can clean it up and paint it, you'll make money. If you have any use for it, you can keep it for 20 yrs and still sell it for more than you have in it.

I like old iron.

Ron

/ Help on Farmall H price #4  
RandBMfgInc said:
Greetings,
I was not looking, but I came across a 1950 Farmall H tricycle style
tractor yesterday, with a post hole digger attached. Looking at it, it
is a pile of rust. However, it runs well, and the post hole digger works well.
Old farmer is selling out, and has no use for it. His father bought it new
in 1950. Asking $800.00. Tires old, but holding air. Alot of rust. 6 volt.
Is this old girl worth $800.00. What is going price for something like this?
Rust is no big deal. I am pretty good at painting. Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks!!! Rick

The average retail is $1850. That's what dealers get for "clean" H's on average. And this H is far from being clean if I understand your description correctly. I'd offer $400 and see if you can get it for $600.

/ Help on Farmall H price #5  
Flusher, I don't mean to be arguementitve, but when I have something for sale I have figured out what I'll take for it. Any old tractor that will run is worth 800.00. I see restorers pay 800.00 sight unseen for a running working H. If I had one for sale for a reasonable price and someone came and offered me 1/2 price, I help the back out the door.
Most people don't try to burn someone up when selling something, they just figure out what they will take for it and offer it for sale. It's one thing to offer 10% or so less than the asking price, but a whole nuther ballgame to offer 1/2. I had a cub for sale , guy called and asked dozens of questions and I answered everyone as truthfully as I could. I was asking 800.00 for it and I described it very accuratly. He siad I'll take it, will you hold it till fri? I said sure and told consequent callers it was already sold. Sure enough the guy came on fri. and started knocking the paint, the rust, the leak in the muffler, then offered me 400.00 I looked at him and asked if he was serious. He said yeah that what I'll give for it. I said to him, I'm also serious about you getting back in your truck and heading out. He wait what will you take? I said the price is now 5,000.00 , shell it out or get out. He left, next guy that came by looked at it and paid me 800.00. maybe all aren't like me, but I bet there are more than less. Later, Nat

/ Help on Farmall H price #6  
I hate selling stuff. You can get all kinds of crazy people calling you. I sold a Dodge Ram last fall for $3000. It had 213,000 miles or I would have asked more. But, at least one person who called started yelling at me over the phone that he couldn't afford that and was not getting a loan. I just finally said, look, that is the price, I'm the original owner, have every receipt of every single thing done to it, and I guess you should look for a cheaper truck. He got even more irate and I hung up on him.

I just bought an H for $500 but the opinion of everyone on here is that it was a steal. Sounds like $800 for a good running one is pretty good.

/ Help on Farmall H price #7  
Nat said:
Flusher, I don't mean to be arguementitve, but when I have something for sale I have figured out what I'll take for it. Any old tractor that will run is worth 800.00. Later, Nat

I may not have understood your first posting in this thread, but I'll swear you asked if this particular H is worth $800. Now you say any old running hunk of tractor is worth $800. Seems to me you answered your own question.

As is my usual aim in these discussions, I was just trying to be helpful and give you some information I have about that tractor's resale value since you asked what the going price is for that particular model H. I included my idea of how I would negotiate this deal. Since this particular tractor apparently isn't in cherry condition, who's to say what it's really worth? That's determined by agreement between buyer and seller.

Didn't mean to tick you off.

/ Help on Farmall H price #8  
You didn't and I understand what you are saying. I was just saying some people don't get into all the dickering on an old tractor like you would if buying a new car. Don't you just hate it when a salesman starts the song and dance with you when looking at a new car or truck. I uasally buy from a dealer I have known for years and I know what it will go for before I go in and he knows I know it. My wife saw one at a different dealer that she wanted me to go see and a salesman came out and started telling me all the great new things and wanted my name , bank info and more BS than I was going to put up with.
I guess there are all kinds of people in this old world, and it takes all of us, just some have different ways of doing things, not wrong just different. Later, Nat

/ Help on Farmall H price #9  
Nat said:
You didn't and I understand what you are saying. I was just saying some people don't get into all the dickering on an old tractor like you would if buying a new car. Don't you just hate it when a salesman starts the song and dance with you when looking at a new car or truck. I uasally buy from a dealer I have known for years and I know what it will go for before I go in and he knows I know it. My wife saw one at a different dealer that she wanted me to go see and a salesman came out and started telling me all the great new things and wanted my name , bank info and more BS than I was going to put up with.
I guess there are all kinds of people in this old world, and it takes all of us, just some have different ways of doing things, not wrong just different. Later, Nat

My mistake. I confused you with RandBMfgInc who started this thread. Sorry about that.