Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
There is a great article about a farmer, Kirstin Gall from Ethel, Mo. whose father died a decade ago and he was looking through his father's old papers and found the tractors vehicle identification number. He then went on a quest to track down the tractor and restore it. He found in in a junkyard after a ten year search.....

The article is in the Wall Street Journal today.

"Pursuing a Tractor, Mr. Gall Recovers His Family's Past
Rescued From Junkyard, It Gleams; 'Like Grandpa
Was There Smiling at Me' "

By ROBERT TOMSHO

January 3, 2007; Page A1

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #2  
SkyPup said:
There is a great article about a farmer, Kirstin Gall from Ethel, Mo. whose father died a decade ago and he was looking through his father's old papers and found the tractors vehicle identification number. He then went on a quest to track down the tractor and restore it. He found in in a junkyard after a ten year search.....

By ROBERT TOMSHO

January 3, 2007; Page A1

When I get back in the office, I'll look up the story. A 1206 is a BIG tractor. (120HP) International Harvester claimed it to be the first ROW CROP tractor over 100 HP. (Deere 5020 hadn't been configured as a row crop at that point) Many old IH enthusiasts will argue that the 1206 was the BEST LOOKING FarmAll ever built too. (I like open station 1066/1466 myself) Definately NOT a tractor you can tow around to shows behind a 1/2 ton pick-up either ;)

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206
It truly is a great article, in particular the love and labor he contributed to restore this beautiful machine after a ten year seach to find it.

In 2004, he (Mr. Gall) wrote an essay about his efforts to restore this turbocharged beauty for Red Power Magazine, the journal for International Harvester collectors.

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #4  
Dang, I'd like to read it....but I don't have access to the WSJ. And it's too late to go get a copy.... :(

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #5  
SkyPup said:

By ROBERT TOMSHO

January 3, 2007; Page A1

Mornin Thom,
One of my fellow workers told me about the story this morning ! Really interesting.

Over on Yesterdays Tractors Farmall site I have heard of a number of guys that have tracked down a family tractor and brought it home for restore ! Actually I get Red Power Magazine and have read similar stories also.

That type of thing makes that tractor extra special after the restore !!!:)

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #6  
Kristen Gall is a very interesting guy. He is a frequent visitor on the Red Power Magazine forums.

I knew that the article was coming out and my skepticism of the media made me a bit leery. I agree with what others said about the article. Robert Tomsho got it right. Included with the story, there were side-by-side photos in the story showing the 1206 in the salvage yard, and then the restored tractor...truly amazing!

/ Restoring a Turbocharged 1965 Farmall 1206 #7  
I have a Farmall 1206 tractor. They are a real beast. Those of you who have one, know what I mean. Did you guys ever see the first edition of "Heritage Iron" magazine? It features the 1206 and has two on the cover. These old girls are just classy looking and nothing today can even come close