Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #1  

TwoBearBill

Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
I was using my Farmtrac 270DTC yesterday, and while pushing some brush into a ravine I noticed the right side bracket for the front end loader shifted suddenly. Upon inspection, I noticed all but one of the bolts that mount the FEL "bracket" had sheered off on the right side. I was able to get it back to my barn, and unhooked the FEL, which was hard to do with the right side holding on with only one bolt. Upon closer inspection, I found all but two bolts sheered on the left side as well. I've removed both the brackets, and have all but three of the bolt pieces out, but the rest of them are putting up a fight. It looks like I might be able to weld an extension on the mounting hardware and bolt through the holes in the front frame to strengthen the whole setup. Has anyone had this or a similar problem with their Farmtrac FEL?

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #2  
Not the first time this has been seen.

If the bolts on the front are broken they need to be replaced. These also support the engine mount.
Welding the extenton on to the bracket will help solve this problem. A bracket to the rear axels works best keeps the loader from shifting with pressure. Lock tight all bolts also.
If the bolts on the back side are broken off those come out when drilled with a left hand bit. (hardware store should have them.)

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken
I have the rear bolts out, and found replacement bolts easily, but one of the front bolts is giving me a fight. I'll send photos of the extension brackets when I get them fabricated.

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #4  
Thanks I'd like to see those pics.

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #5  
TwoBearBill said:
I was using my Farmtrac 270DTC yesterday, and while pushing some brush into a ravine I noticed the right side bracket for the front end loader shifted suddenly. Upon inspection, I noticed all but one of the bolts that mount the FEL "bracket" had sheered off on the right side. I was able to get it back to my barn, and unhooked the FEL, which was hard to do with the right side holding on with only one bolt. Upon closer inspection, I found all but two bolts sheered on the left side as well. I've removed both the brackets, and have all but three of the bolt pieces out, but the rest of them are putting up a fight. It looks like I might be able to weld an extension on the mounting hardware and bolt through the holes in the front frame to strengthen the whole setup. Has anyone had this or a similar problem with their Farmtrac FEL?

Do you have any idea WHY so many bolts broke?

I think the bolts probably started loosening up, and broke one or two at a time. I had noticed some play in the FEL, but assumed is was just tolerances in the parts and now I realize it was probably the loose bolts. When I re-assemble the whole thing, I plan to use lock-tite and check the bolt torques on a routine basis.

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #7  
My 270 did the same thing very early on in its life. I think the bolts were under torqued and defective. I changed my bolts with the metric equivelent of a grd 8 bolt, I think it was 10.9. I also applied a liberal amount of loctite 271, and tightenened with a 231 ingersol impact set on low, and a 19mm impact socket and impact swivel. I have since logged about 50 or so hard machine hours since and the bolts have stayed tight and are not showing any signs of distress. Before one bolt actualy broke, the loader bolts loosened up 3 times before, and each time I tightened them with the impact and reapplied loctite. I feel the bolts were actualy stretching, not backing out. By the way, I do not recomend using loctite and the factory bolts , It makes them real hard to get out when they snap, and they will snap. Thank god for rosebud torch tips and black engine paint in a spraycan!!!!

Here are some photos of my FEL mount repair, showing the bolts that broke off in the block, the stock forward mounting bracket, and how I modified it so I could utilize one of the holes already in the frame. I did both sides this way. I painted the new brackets JD green in protest of Farmtrac going under.:)

Attachments

• FEL Bracket Fix.JPG
    FEL Bracket Fix.JPG
    822 KB · Views: 1,520
  • FEL Bracket.JPG
    FEL Bracket.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 1,621
  • FEL Broken Bolts.JPG
    FEL Broken Bolts.JPG
    818.7 KB · Views: 1,894
   / Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #9  
i,ve got 400+hrs on mine and no broken bolts yet i guess its time to give it a good going overand do some inspections

/ Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken #10  
First, nice job on the bracket mod there TwoBearBill!

I'm resurrecting this thread because after 370 hours and plenty of full buckets of stone, I noticed that the entire head of one (of 4 per side) of the rear loader bracket bolts sheered off entirely. I was partly relieved because not too long ago while using the bucket to move stone, I heard a crack. Nothing more ... just ... CRACK. I knew it wasn't good, but didn't know what the heck it was. Now I know.

Anyway, what I know about fasteners, including bolts, is just enough to be dangerous. Therefore I'm here asking for help. The 7 heads of the bolts that remain on the (rear section of the) loader bracket unit read "J D 10.9" Ryan03 wrote above: "I changed my bolts with the metric equivelent of a grd 8 bolt, I think it was 10.9"

Are bolts for this application categorized by both size and hardness? What exactly do I ask for when I go to the hardware store? I do have a set of bolt removers (E-Z out) and a counter clockwise cobalt drill bit. I may be getting back to you to determine which of the E-Z extractors I will need. I'm armed with:

-5pcs Multi-Fluted, Machined Alloy Steel Screw Extrator Size: #1-#5
-5pc Left-Hand Cobalt Drill Bits Size: 5/64", 7/64", 5/32", 1/4", 19/64"

Finally, I had to laugh when I read the following on the package: "Remove Broken Screws Easily"

They don't know who they are dealing with in my case.