Tractor
    Farmtrac 270DTC

Default Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken

I was using my Farmtrac 270DTC yesterday, and while pushing some brush into a ravine I noticed the right side bracket for the front end loader shifted suddenly. Upon inspection, I noticed all but one of the bolts that mount the FEL "bracket" had sheered off on the right side. I was able to get it back to my barn, and unhooked the FEL, which was hard to do with the right side holding on with only one bolt. Upon closer inspection, I found all but two bolts sheered on the left side as well. I've removed both the brackets, and have all but three of the bolt pieces out, but the rest of them are putting up a fight. It looks like I might be able to weld an extension on the mounting hardware and bolt through the holes in the front frame to strengthen the whole setup. Has anyone had this or a similar problem with their Farmtrac FEL?

Default Re: Farmtrac Front End Loader Bolts Broken

Not the first time this has been seen.

If the bolts on the front are broken they need to be replaced. These also support the engine mount.
    Welding the extenton on to the bracket will help solve this problem. A bracket to the rear axels works best keeps the loader from shifting with pressure. Lock tight all bolts also.
    If the bolts on the back side are broken off those come out when drilled with a left hand bit. (hardware store should have them.)

Tractor
    Farmtrac 270DTC

I have the rear bolts out, and found replacement bolts easily, but one of the front bolts is giving me a fight. I'll send photos of the extension brackets when I get them fabricated.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    FarmTrac 300DTC

Thanks I'd like to see those pics.
    Chris

Farm Trac 300DTC w/5140 FEL and stuff

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBearBill
    I was using my Farmtrac 270DTC yesterday, and while pushing some brush into a ravine I noticed the right side bracket for the front end loader shifted suddenly. Upon inspection, I noticed all but one of the bolts that mount the FEL "bracket" had sheered off on the right side. I was able to get it back to my barn, and unhooked the FEL, which was hard to do with the right side holding on with only one bolt. Upon closer inspection, I found all but two bolts sheered on the left side as well. I've removed both the brackets, and have all but three of the bolt pieces out, but the rest of them are putting up a fight. It looks like I might be able to weld an extension on the mounting hardware and bolt through the holes in the front frame to strengthen the whole setup. Has anyone had this or a similar problem with their Farmtrac FEL?
    Do you have any idea WHY so many bolts broke?
    FRANK

Tractor
    Farmtrac 270DTC

I think the bolts probably started loosening up, and broke one or two at a time. I had noticed some play in the FEL, but assumed is was just tolerances in the parts and now I realize it was probably the loose bolts. When I re-assemble the whole thing, I plan to use lock-tite and check the bolt torques on a routine basis.

Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4

My 270 did the same thing very early on in its life. I think the bolts were under torqued and defective. I changed my bolts with the metric equivelent of a grd 8 bolt, I think it was 10.9. I also applied a liberal amount of loctite 271, and tightenened with a 231 ingersol impact set on low, and a 19mm impact socket and impact swivel. I have since logged about 50 or so hard machine hours since and the bolts have stayed tight and are not showing any signs of distress. Before one bolt actualy broke, the loader bolts loosened up 3 times before, and each time I tightened them with the impact and reapplied loctite. I feel the bolts were actualy stretching, not backing out. By the way, I do not recomend using loctite and the factory bolts , It makes them real hard to get out when they snap, and they will snap. Thank god for rosebud torch tips and black engine paint in a spraycan!!!!

Tractor
    Farmtrac 270DTC

Here are some photos of my FEL mount repair, showing the bolts that broke off in the block, the stock forward mounting bracket, and how I modified it so I could utilize one of the holes already in the frame. I did both sides this way. I painted the new brackets JD green in protest of Farmtrac going under.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    farmtrac 300 dtc

i,ve got 400+hrs on mine and no broken bolts yet i guess its time to give it a good going overand do some inspections
    farmtrac 300dtc fel 6ft finish mower,6ft brush hog,6ft rock rake,6ft box blade,4ft scraper blade