2009 update on my 2003 Farmtrac 60

/ 2009 update on my 2003 Farmtrac 60 #1  

Suburban600

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 60
New items are in bold. Near 375 hours. Didn't use the tractor as much since my trails are all cut and all I need to do now is mow a couple of times a year, haul firewood.

This list is also posted at Farmtrac 60 tractor-parts cross references.

Below is my list of things done to repair my tractor.

• Have a leak on the low pressure return for my hydraulic system...about a quart or two a year. I believe I may have caused this problem by overfilling. The leak is on the right side of the tractor where the low pressure line elbow enters the differential.

3rd left pittman steering arm (replaced retaining bolt and really cranked on it with a long bar, locktite, and brake cleaner to assure no grease in connection). Acting on the suggestion of a poster, I replaced the bolt with a hardened grade 8 bolt. The OEM bolts stretch. The bolt holds much better! No slipping.

Replaced rubber boot on 5320 loader joystick

Replaced Grille (had rammed a stick through it running around in the woods)

Changed large and small airfilters

Put new set of blades on my SQ 72 bushhog...snapped one blade off cutting brush.

Have neutral safety switch in box ready to install [still haven't done it]

Need to run wire from Alt to Starter or Ignition Switch for Alt energizer. Still just touching a wire. [still haven't done the perm fix...but the battery charges well using this method]

Yep, I still gotta lot of stuff on the round to it list but...the tractor keeps on chugging along! If you have a fix you have used for a Farmtrac 60 let me know and i will put it on the website for the benefit of the Farmtrac 60 owners community.

/ 2009 update on my 2003 Farmtrac 60
I forgot to add that I had to pull my fuel tank line out to clean the screen.

Here is a testament to durability of the Farmtrac 60.

I tried the fried turkey thing a couple of years ago. Had all the oil left over. Yes I did!

Don't do it.

What happens (my suspicion)...is a gel forms (after a long time) which covers the tank screen which blocks the fuel flow.

Symptoms are...tractor starts fine, runs ok then begins to miss and won't run well at all at higher rpms.

Problem is the fuel fills the system slowly over night. Once the tractor is started fuel in the system is burnt after about 10 minutes then the problems start.

To fix this you'll need to siphon all the fuel out of the tank. Undo the fuel line from the connection at the fuel bowl and at the fuel tank.

The manual fuel cut off valve underneath the fuel tank simply unscrews out of the tank. The valve body has a glued in screen. On my tractor this is what was gummed up.

Be careful reassembling. The connector between the fuel line and the manual fuel cut off valve body (the one at the bottom of the tank) is trick to get aligned...just be careful.

Without the service manual and parts manual I would have been stabbing in the dark to fix this problem. The tractor runs fantastic now that the fuel tank screen was cleaned.

/ 2009 update on my 2003 Farmtrac 60
The FT60 Repair Manual Cooling System section is available for download at my website.