Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH?

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #1  

zbuteaux

Tractor
Farmtrac 320 DTC
Having problems with my Tractor, think its the Clutch, it only has 154 hrs and acting like the Clutch went out, I tried adjusting the linkage each time it stoped on me, it would work for a little while and then go out again when putting a load on it, every time the PTO was engaged it would grind @ idle speed after 3 times of adjusting it, it wont budge. Does anyone have any idea of what hapened?

Zack

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #2  
I had a 320 doing the same thing you mentioned a few months ago. Had to be split between engine and clutch housing. Turned out a release bolt had lossened up, making clutch pressure plate uneven when pedal was pushed. The pto also was gringing and would not stay in gear. Had to remove 3 point hich housing where I found a snap ring out od it's groove. Hope this helps. Trac

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #3  
Is this a fairly common issue with the Farmtrac 320? I found a cheap one but it "has a clutch problem".

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #4  
Is the transmission or pto acting up, or both? Depends how cheap it is.

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #5  
It looks like it is a repo and I'm being told that there is a "clutch related problem". I'm waiting to talk to the maintenance guy but he's away for a couple days. Its an '07 with 200 hrs. Other than that, its in good shape, runs great and comes with implements. They're asking about $6000 for it.

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #6  
Clutch failure is a fairly common problem in all brands of tractors, especially with loaders. It is farily easy to smoke a clutch in a tractor. Zack's clutch just sounds like a typical burned up clutch, adjust for a little more free play, clutch trys to grab for a while but still slips some and as a result, wears off a little more of the lining needing adjusting again, till no adjustment left.

If one of the imlements on the $6000 repo unit is a front end loader, sounds like a very good deal to me. Clutches range from 500 to 1100 or more for tractors (2 stage) and about 7 or 8 hours labor to split and install. then you know you have a new one and if you keep your foot off the clutch pedal while the tractor is in motion, it should last a long time. Early on there was a problem with the rivets that hold the clutch disk together, but when those fail, there is not any movement of the tractor at all.

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #7  
Hey good mornin Chip!

Yeah I'm going to give the service manager a call Monday morning. It comes with the factory FEL (5040), 72" Landpride finish mower, and a 66" box blade. This can't be worse than the clutch service work i'm already committed to with my Agracat (jinma). We'll see if the bank will bargain with my bids.

/ Farmtrac 320 DTC CLUTCH? #8  
The Farmtrac uses a "diaphragm" clutch as opposed to a Borg & Beck. While the B&B is a bit more resilient to the "foot-on-the-pedal" way of driving, it has some characteristics that make it not the best on the compact tractors.

If you do need to replace the clutch on the Farmtrac, be sure to do a "complete" job. In addition to replacing the clutch disk, replace the pressure plate or have it re-built by a qualified shop.

Also, make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced. The flywheel is probably a "step" wheel and needs to be done by a qualified shop, also.

While you have the tractor split, replace the throw-out bearing. They are not that expensive.

Be careful when you split the tractor. There are several things that must be disconnected from the front half of the tractor to the back half. It is easy to overlook some of them. It is also easy to damage something like the speedometer/tachometer cable or strain some of the wiring.

The clutch is something you can do yourself, it just takes a bit of care and work.

If you don't have a local place to get the parts from try Kentucky Clutch (502-955-9173). They are very helpful and either have or can get almost any clutch parts you need. Even with shipping, they may be cheaper then a tractor dealer by hundreds of dollars. (our clutch disk was over $500 at the Montana dealer - there are not Farmtrac dealers anymore - and was only $110 at KY Clutch)