Pinion and ring gear replacement

/ Pinion and ring gear replacement #1  

Clint S

Veteran Member
Tractor
555DTC Farmall 200
Have a 555DTC. The bolts in my pinion bearing carrier came out and wrecked the pinion bearing and pinion shaft . After waiting months for parts I am ready to put it back together. I see nothing in the parts breakdown for adjustment/shimming for backlash of the gears, no shims on either part. I bought the service manual and it covers the bearing preloads, but no spec or adjustment for gear backlash. Here is the only thing the manual says.

NOTE: It is advisable always to check on reassembly that the differential ring gear can be turned by hand and that backlash exists between the drive pinion and differential ring gear. Excessive pre loading or end float conditions are both detrimental to the life of taper roller and pilot bearings.

Am I correct in assuming that if the bearing preloads are right it should be good. All the car rears I have done require shimming.

Thanks Clint

Last edited:
   / Pinion and ring gear replacement
Well I have the rear end reassembled. The pattern looked good with the blue grease, backlash looked good too. Will try to join them up today or tomorrow and get this baby running.

Well I have the rear end reassembled. The pattern looked good with the blue grease, backlash looked good too. Will try to join them up today or tomorrow and get this baby running.

Everything is back together and it seems to be running well. No noises or leaks that I cane see. The best thing is that I only have a few extra parts left over.

/ Pinion and ring gear replacement #4  
Glad to see that you got it back together. What did you do to prevent this from happening again?

Glad to see that you got it back together. What did you do to prevent this from happening again?

Red Loc Tight on the bolts that came loose should solve the problem. There was nothing on them from the factory. I may pull off the inspection cover part way through the summer to check though

Everything is back together and it seems to be running well. No noises or leaks that I cane see. The best thing is that I only have a few extra parts left over.

Just an update for anyone that cares. Everything seems to be running fine except for the squeaky brakes (they have actually gotten much better too).
One small leak at the brake shaft, but at only one or two drops a day I am not pulling it apart to fix it. Have got 30 hours or so on it, so I calling it fixed and this ordeal a success.

/ Pinion and ring gear replacement #7  
Glad it worked out for you, hope it holds up and doesn't cause you any more problems.:thumbsup: