Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #1  

Theron W

Tractor
Farmtrac 360DTC
Hi, I've got a Farmtrac 360 DTC that has always ran well and operated like a dream. Yesterday I was sitting on the tractor while it was running and turned it off to hear something my son was saying to me...when I tried to restart it, nothing happened, at all..

The only way I can describe what it's doing is to say that it is acting exactly like it does if the PTO is engaged or the clutch is not engaged when trying to start. In other words when the safety bypass is not allowing you to start the tractor. I've been doing some land clearing, which is rough on tractors, but I almost have a feeling it's just a part gone bad...

Can anyone tell me what it might sound like to them?? Switch relay? Disconnected wire...hung selinoid?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Theron in NC

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #2  
Hi, I've got a Farmtrac 360 DTC that has always ran well and operated like a dream. Yesterday I was sitting on the tractor while it was running and turned it off to hear something my son was saying to me...when I tried to restart it, nothing happened, at all..

The only way I can describe what it's doing is to say that it is acting exactly like it does if the PTO is engaged or the clutch is not engaged when trying to start. In other words when the safety bypass is not allowing you to start the tractor. I've been doing some land clearing, which is rough on tractors, but I almost have a feeling it's just a part gone bad...

Can anyone tell me what it might sound like to them?? Switch relay? Disconnected wire...hung solenoid?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Theron in NC
I would check wires under tractor such as brake, PTO and similar safety switches as wires can ripped off by branches.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #3  
We have a Farmtrac forum . Maybe the mod/adm can move your post over there as we have some good Farmtrac service guys on the 360 dtc over there.

It could be bad battery connections/ignition switch/starter circut or any number of electrical things. My FT60 did that last winter and it was the starter solenoid gone bad.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #4  
I had the clutch safety switch vibrate loose and fall out of the little bracket that holds it after a few hours of tilling with a borrowed Kubota. Thought I killed the tractor. Scared the crap out of me!

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world
Ok, I would be glad to be moved to the Farmtrac forum. I wasn't aware that there was one..

Ladia....did you say brake safety??? Is there a brake safety switch on that tractor???.....

Thanks!!

Theron

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #6  
I just gave you generic advice to point you to certain direction. I don't know about Farmtrack. On my tractor the parking brake has to be set or normal brake depressed, PTO disengaged etc to be able start the engine.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #7  
We had a FT 360 ... I know this may sound simple since you probably were not using the PTO ... but, have you checked to make sure the PTO switch is not turned on. Where it is located it is possible to turn it on with your knee without realizing it (I know because I had ours not start a few times :eek:).

Otherwise I would check the wiring from the clutch safety switch to make sure it wasn't pulled from brush. I doubt the PTO wire would be pulled lose since it is not located under the tractor. But, any of the switches could have gone bad.

As far as I know there are only the clutch and the PTO safety devices that prevent starting. I know the 360 does not have a seat safety switch and I don't think it has a switch on the brakes.

Just out of curiosity - have you had any problems with your clutch - that is the main reason we traded the FT 360 DTC BH/FEL for a different tractor.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #8  
it sound like a PTO switch is left on.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world
Ok, the first thing I checked was the PTO switch, and it was not on..I actually turn it on when I turn the tractor off on a regular basis as a safety measure in case one of my children were to hop in the seat and try to start it...so I'm used to turning it off in order to start it.

I talked to an 88 yr old tractor mechanic today and he said "no matter how much you think it can't be the battery, it probably is!" So as soon as I pull it out of the woods, I'm going to check all the connections and replace the battery.

I will also be able to check the clutch safety switch a little better once I get it up on some concrete by the tool shed.

As far as my clutch, knock on wood, I've never had any trouble with it whatsoever. Really the tractor has been unbelievably reliable since I've had it..which is probably for 7 or 8 yrs...

I admit, that I've been giving Kioti's sidelong glances lately though....it's just not in the budget with the economy what it is....

Theron

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Dead to the world #10  
I talked to an 88 yr old tractor mechanic today and he said "no matter how much you think it can't be the battery, it probably is!" So as soon as I pull it out of the woods, I'm going to check all the connections and replace the battery.

Theron

My 360 did the same thing this summer and it turned out to be a cracked battery terminal. They're a pretty cheap deal and required a good bit of cleaning being corroded into the wiring. I hope yours is as simple and cheap a fix, I also had the battery come loose once but caught it before it loosened up enough to get damaged.