Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #1  

bshackelford711

Tractor
Montana 545DTC/Farmtrac 545DTC
Can someone tell me if the holes on the wet disc brake linings are supposed to be aligned or staggered?
They have a white and green dot painted on them but I am not sure what that means.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
-Brandon-

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes
To answer my own question and in the future if anyone ever researches this

YES they do need to be aligned so that the oil will be able to return through the axle easily. If not aligned as close as they possibly can be.

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #3  
At the auto assy plant I work at paint dots are used to verify quality checks. Take a look under the hood of your truck, you'll probably find it peppered with them too. Not to say they don't have anything to do w/ alignment but I doubt it.

Last edited:
   / Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #4  
hi, i was wondering if y'all would know why my brakes make an ungodly noise when i use them?
its a 555dtc, they work fine but are noisy

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #5  
hi, i was wondering if y'all would know why my brakes make an ungodly noise when i use them?
its a 555dtc, they work fine but are noisy

My guess would be the kind of oil used.

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #6  
It is a common noise. Mine has made it and I know of another. Mine made the squelching noise when new. A change of oil fixed that, but it has resurfaced a few times. Here are some observations I have made in taking mine apart and running it over the years. If you have infrequent use the discs dry out and that sometimes makes noise. The glue holding the friction material on the actual discs sucks, I have had to replace my disks (not cheap). When the material flakes off I think it often gets stuck between the discs possibly causing a squeal If you have brakes , but they are spongy and take longer to stop, your friction material is gone from a disc or 2. The brand of oil makes a difference. I noticed more noise with a generic oil (correct oil) I bought from my dealer than tractor supplies premium oil.

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #7  
it has made the noise since i bought it used in april
i tore a brake boot n lost about 2 gals of oil
replaced both brake boots n topped off w/ tractor supply's 'Traveller Multi-Purpose 80W-90'
maybe i should just drain it n go with ???? is 'Traveller' good stuff?

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #8  
I been using the same 'Traveller Multi-Purpose 80W-90' in my 665 for over a year now with no issues. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good though lol

/ Farmtrac 545DTC Wet Brakes #9  
The 555 has a common sump for hydraulics and rear end. I think it came from the factory with 80/90 but needs to be filled with a quality (Travellers is what I use) Hydro/wet brake fluid to stop the squeak