Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill,

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #1  

sourwood

Tractor
Farmtrac 665DTC, Zetor 7711, Long 460, Long 310, Satoh S370D, Iseki 4100F, Case 380CK, John Deere 420C
Here is the story so far:

About two weeks ago my father's Farmtrac 665 died. I knew something was gravely wrong at that point, so I pulled the filters and the primary fuel filter was completely rusty inside from passing water through it. I mean rusty as filled full of it.

I drained the fuel tank, dried it out, and then check for rust in the tank. None.

I filled the diesel filters full of fuel, followed the bleeding procedure in the manual(which is the most useless piece of garbage I've ever seen in 30 years of turning a wrench).

The tractor ran fine for 30 minutes. Then, coming uphill it sputtered, shut down and died.

I discovered that the fuel contamination of water was coming from a local gas station- Spur 60 in the Blue Ridge area of Georgia.

How did I discover this ? A hydgrometer showed water contamination in all of the fuel we got from that service station.

When I discovered that, I disposed via recycling the old watery diesel, got clean containers, got known good fuel(checked it for water/gasoline/etc) and then cleaned the tank, cleaned the tank's strainer, and replaced both fuel filters yet again. I then bled the system for air at the filters, bled it at the injectors. I checked the gas cap to see if the vent was screwed up, left the gas cap loose, and tried to run it with the cap off to see if that was the cause- none of that made any difference.

It still dies going uphill and it has gotten worse. The odd thing is when it dies, it refuses to restart. Drain a little diesel from the filter, guess what ? It starts up.

I'm at a loss of what to tell my elderly father- I can't explain 30 minutes of running fine around the farm and good idle, and then poof- it all goes out the window when you go up even a slight incline.

I would think that if enough rust/trash/water got into the system to cause injector pump problems- it wouldn't run well at all or would leak or do something more heinous than 30 minutes of teasing. Am I wrong ?

I can't imagine that if there is something in the lines- like rust or trash- that it would run well for 30 minutes. Am I wrong ?

Any suggestions on what could be causing this ?

Is there anyway to flush the lines, flush the pump, and clean the injectors ? The service manual has very vague instructions on all this, elucidated on by some poor shmuck from Bangalore who was working for 35 cents an hour and being fed benzedrine to keep up the work product.

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #2  
When you drain a little fuel from the filter and it starts, is this from the drain on the bottom of the water seperator/filter? If so it sounds like you still have a water in fuel issue. Try a bottle of isoprofle alcohal in tank. Water will set in the bottom of the tank, by going up an incline, it may be picking up water. Could someone be adding water to the tank, kids? Is there a water drain on the bottom of the fuel tank?

Dave

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill,
DrDave: I'm going to go get several bottles of Isoheet. No amount of "bleeding off" helped today.

It would not run at all. When I tried to see if there was air caught in the lines, I opened the line, pumped the primer pump and barely got a spritz of diesel. No good flow, just a tiny spritz.

Thank you for your help.

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #4  
Bad lift pump maybe. In my 675 its a bosch and contains the filter with drain.

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #5  
We had somewhat of the same problem with our 665DTC. Maybe you have read the thread "Buying a Farmtrac 665-should I?" Fuel problems were first suspected and a lot of work went to solving what we thought was contamination of the fuel system. Turned out to be a bad connection on the fuel solenoid (which cuts the fuel off when the key is turned off). Maybe you have already checked that out.....Just my thoughts

We had somewhat of the same problem with our 665DTC. Maybe you have read the thread "Buying a Farmtrac 665-should I?" Fuel problems were first suspected and a lot of work went to solving what we thought was contamination of the fuel system. Turned out to be a bad connection on the fuel solenoid (which cuts the fuel off when the key is turned off). Maybe you have already checked that out.....Just my thoughts

MDFORD: Can you tell me where the fuel solenoid is ? I can't find my service manual(I seem to have thrown it across the shop once again).

Bud Soda: Mine has the Bosch as well. It has two 33472 filters with drains on it, then it goes to a hand primer pump which has no doggone filter to it. It's the first tractor I've ever owned that doesn't have a filter on the hand primer pump. Where is the drain on the pump, that you mention ? I've looked and checked the parts book and didn't see one.

Thank you all for replying.

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #7  
The Bosch pump actually has two electrical connections. One is for the cut -off solenoid and the other is for the cold start solenoid that advances the timing when the engine is cold. (That's the reason the engine is so noisy when cold) The cold start solenoid has two small fuel lines running to it. It will only have 12 volts supplied to it until the engine warms up. You will find the fuel cut-off solenoid right behind where the three fuel lines connect that go the injectors. On top of the solenoid you will see an electrical connection that has a push on clip connection. This solenoid will have 12 volts whenever the key is turned on. If you have a volt meter, check this voltage when the key is on. Another way to check is to turn the key on and touch the wire to the solenoid terminal and listen for a click. You should have no trouble hearing the click which indicates that the solenoid is working. (Or you assume it is) Concerning the hand primer pump, it has no filter. It has no screen, it's just a pump for pushing out air. There are some one way valves and springs inside. The injection pump has a built in pump that sucks fuel from the filter line. This opens up the one-way valves inside the the little bosch primer pump. Hope this helps you in some way. Good Luck!

The Bosch pump actually has two electrical connections. One is for the cut -off solenoid and the other is for the cold start solenoid that advances the timing when the engine is cold. (That's the reason the engine is so noisy when cold) The cold start solenoid has two small fuel lines running to it. It will only have 12 volts supplied to it until the engine warms up. You will find the fuel cut-off solenoid right behind where the three fuel lines connect that go the injectors. On top of the solenoid you will see an electrical connection that has a push on clip connection. This solenoid will have 12 volts whenever the key is turned on. If you have a volt meter, check this voltage when the key is on. Another way to check is to turn the key on and touch the wire to the solenoid terminal and listen for a click. You should have no trouble hearing the click which indicates that the solenoid is working. (Or you assume it is) Concerning the hand primer pump, it has no filter. It has no screen, it's just a pump for pushing out air. There are some one way valves and springs inside. The injection pump has a built in pump that sucks fuel from the filter line. This opens up the one-way valves inside the the little bosch primer pump. Hope this helps you in some way. Good Luck!

I'm hoping your Bosch pump on your Perkins is the same as the Bosch pump on this 3 cylinder lump of coal. I will go through the parts book again and look for those two solenoids. I sure hope that's what it is.

Thank you so much.

MDFord: It appears mine has that solenoid on it. Did you ever replace yours or did you just get it working again by cleaning it up and reseating it ?

I know I have 12 volts going to it, with no short there, but I'm not sure how to test the solenoid, beyond the click. Sometimes it does click and sometimes it don't- so I have a good idea of what is wrong, now. At 1:42 in the morning, no less.

I at least can tell my dad something. The solenoid is not listed in the parts book- it is in the 675DTC parts book but has no part number.

Anyone have any idea where I can get such a part ? Call Sundowner ?

If anyone has a dealer that is competent and still services these things, please give me their contact info. I love this tractor dearly.

Thank you.

/ Farmtrac 665 Dies Going Uphill, #10