Farmtrac dripping fuel

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #1  

Bullfrog79

Tractor
farmtrac 60, jd 870
I have a ft60 that started dripping fuel from the tube that is supposed to be for excess oil in the injection pump. Checked oil in the pump and found it full of fuel, no oil at all. Is there a diaphragm in the lift pump that could be bad? Anybody else seen this?

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #2  
Have you ever added oil to the pump.

I add 15w-40 to the pump 3-4 times a year. I've noticed in the summer during hay season I may run a little longer than usual before adding oil. When I add fresh oil it pushes the old out the over flow tube first. It's thin and looks like diesel fuel. No issues with diesel fuel in the pump with 1900 hours on the tractor.

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #3  
drain it an refill with oil.

if it starts leaking again.. it needs attention.

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel
thanks, i was just worried because i knew there was supposed to be oil there. there is very little info in the shop manual, so i wanted to get some knowledgeable advice. i drained it all out and filled with oil, going to top it off again today. tractor has about 560 hours on it and i doubt it has ever ben done before. i ll be sure to check it more often from now on. thanks again.

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #5  
it's at least a place to start. it may have be fine.. or not.

if it diluted with fuel immediately and leaks again.. then you know it needs help. otherwise chang ethe oil when you change the engine oil... check every few moinths to see if low.. etc.

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #6  
My FT60 is a '98 or '99 model. I seen no way to drain the lube oil from the pump. My dealer says there is no way he has found to drain the pump. Any advice or direction or a picture. Thanks

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #7  
suction tube?

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel
talked to a dealer who said that there is no drain, only an overflow plug located behind the hand primer. he said to fill it ( fill plug on top)until it flows out of the drain and it should push the old oil/ fuel out. i did it and i am going to run it a few hours and check it again. apparently some fuel gets into the oil in time, which is why they recomend servicing it. i was just really confused when i saw fuel where there was supposed to be oil.

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #9  
i think i'd suck it out.. :)

/ Farmtrac dripping fuel #10  
While looking for the torque specifications of the fuel injection pump, I saw this thread. If your Farmtrac fuel injection pump has its own oil supply, there are a couple ways that diesel fuel can start replacing the oil in the reservoir.
The first way is after some wear between the Helix element and the sleeve a path from fuel can make its way into the oil compartment.
The second possible way fuel can be found in the self contained oil reservoir is when there is wear between the pump plunger and the Fuel Feed Pump Assembly housing.
The suggestions within this thread are very helpful. When you fill the oil compartment and let it extrude the fuel out of the compartment via the overflow tube. Diesel fuel is "lighter" than oil and its "floating" above the filling oil can "replace" the fuel with oil once again. The best thing to do at this point is to check it often and see how fast the leak may be.
I found this excellent video which shows how to diagnose possible leaks. It is not in English, but the video shows specific infomation that might be helpful. The only difference I was was that they leak test in water vs in oil. I imagine that is because fresh water is much cheaper than new oil.
If the link to the youtube video does not work, then search for the title:

Tractor fuel pump leakage ! Inline pump overflow ! Element leakge test​

Even with the misspellings you should be able to find it.
Hope this helps.