555 DTC on slopes

/ 555 DTC on slopes #1  

dginter

Tractor
05' Farmtrac 555 DTC
hi, i'm pretty new to farm tractors... I just got a Farmtrac 555DTC 4WD and I have 50 acres of what i'd call sloped terrain here in KY. I was wondering if anyone has used a 555 bush hogging on 20 degree slopes? I have managed to hog one field sideways (with FEL on) that was a pretty steady 15 degree slope, was a lil nervous but got it done. any info/help is appreciated, Thanks

/ 555 DTC on slopes #2  
I have a 555DTC, but never really hog it on much of a hill. You may want to pull off your inspection cover and check your pinion bolts. Mine have come out twice, but never again as they are tacked in place now. Go back a few pages on this thread and read about my disasters.

/ 555 DTC on slopes
Clint, found your post about the pinion gear bolts. Haven't looked at the parts manual to try n figure this one out yet, but was wondering if you took any pictures? Going out to the farm this weekend n may check that out
Thanks

/ 555 DTC on slopes #4  
butt389_zps19bc85ed.jpg This is the inspection cover by your left foot . You will need to drain a little oil to get it below this level. You can see the bolt backed out, one fell in the 4x4 case and cracked that and the pinion pulled out damaging that. It happened twice. The first time I replaced everything loc tite on bolts and thought I was good. Second time I tacked some small flat stock between the bolts to keep them from moving. Here is a link to a few more
Farmtrac Photos by stelmashuck | Photobucket

/ 555 DTC on slopes
That shows it really well, thanks! what kind of loc-tite did you use, red or blue?

/ 555 DTC on slopes #6  
I E mailed Loctite and I ended up getting Loctite 277. It is Military grade, high strength. It is considered a permanent because you need a torch to remove. I chose this one due to it's high resistance to oil and vibration at 100% after 1000 hours. I had used red before also, but cannot remember what #. It was not just one bolt, all 4 were loose both times so I do not know if the threads are bad or what. Second time I cleaned and chased all the threads. Applied Loctite. Waited 2 days for it to cure and then I also welded a piece of flat stock between the bolts to prevent them from turning. The only way those bolts are turning are if the welds fail or the treads pull out. It has otherwise been a good tractor and we have used it hard with 3 pt back hoe. Biggest complaint other than the the bolts coming out is it is pretty loud and has alot of vibration.

/ 555 DTC on slopes #7  
Clint, I'm still amazed you pulled that thing apart twice. Sounds like you won't have to bother with it again.

Dginter, 20 degrees doesn't sound bad till you get on it. How are your wheels spaced? Here's a picture of mine on an 18 degree slope. I'm spaced out all the way and have about 800lbs on the front. It feels worse than it looks in the picture. Not too mention there are several depressions on the low side and rocks on the high side that can alter the slope very quickly. There's not many places I feel nervous, but 20 with no spacing would have me nervous.

DSC05108.JPG

/ 555 DTC on slopes
Just moved the wheels (moved left to right, right to left) last night, think I went from 60" center to center to 64" (think that's 3 positions from widest). Also moved front out to track with the back (inside of both sets the same)... what a pain, 1 stud on the right and 2 on the left spun so we tack welded them to hold em to get the lug nuts off, other than that it wasnt bad... took 'er for a spin n put her on 19 deg's and it felt better than before that's for sure. Had it on a 20 with the original spacing n I was way nervous... runnin' with FEL on

/ 555 DTC on slopes
IMAG0646.jpgIMAG0645.jpg
figurin' out how to conquer the slopes, ha ha

/ 555 DTC on slopes #10  
Nothing like some nice scenery while you cut. Looks great.