555DTC - Problem - 4WD

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD #1  
Tractor
Farmtrac 555DTC
Has anyone ever had it in 4wd, power up in low low to scoop and pick up dirt with the front end loader, hear a loud clank and then it clank when you are in 4wd and not clank in 2wd? If you have, did you find out what the problem was and could you fix it yourself?

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD #2  
I have not. Where is the noise coming from. Under or up front, one clank or many. The transfer case is very simple, nothing to really clank. Front end turns when under power, but with no load. Under load lots of stuff to clank in front diff. I would check the drive shaft U joints first. As far as the boots leaking it is a common issue, just get new ones and change them out.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD
Thank you Clint S! We have freezing fog right now, but as soon as it warms up again, we're going to raise the font end and turn the front wheels and see if we can locate where the sound is coming from. In driving the tractor back to its parking place, the clanking was below me and seemed to occur with every revolution of the rear wheels. The 4wd transfer case is leaking. It looks like the leak is coming from the gasket which has never leaked before. The case could be cracked, but as you know, leaks always occur where you can't see them. In this case it is hidden by the hydraulic lines that run by the case. We may end up pulling everything - the case, the shaft, the shaft guard and get into the front axle. Aargh! :smiley_aafz:

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD #4  
There usually is no gasket between the case and the tractor, just silicone. 4x4 is simple. Just a gear on the tranny output \pinion shaft , turning a gear in the transfer case which turns a gear that engages/ disengages the 4x4. Those gears in the transfer case do not hold up well to pulling in reverse and can sheer teeth. It may be a gear if it is coming from the case clacking under load. That said I have had a TON of issues with the pinion bolts coming loose on mine dropping down and destroying things in that transfer case. It has happened 2 times and I caught it the third time, even with industrial strength loctite . Now they are welded in place.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD
If I read what you are suggesting might be our problem, the pinion gear is probably OK and if we are lucky, just the gears in the 4wd transfer case may be damaged. If we are not lucky, to get to the pinion gear or pinion bolts, do we have to split the tractor or can we just get to it or the bolts from the opening left when the 4wd case is removed?

Sure appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions. Thank you. Saturday is tear-into-the-tractor day with the help of a fellow who works on tractors. He is familiar with Longs but not specifically Farmtracs. In the mean time, we've been researching where we can get parts.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD #6  
You can check the pinion gear and bolts front the round side access cover on the left side by your foot it think. I know you can see at lest a few of the bolts from there, the oil is over that cover so drink it all or at least a little before you remove it. You can also check everything from the opening where the transfer case was. The pinion gear if damaged will require a split of the rear from the tractor. I have been into mine a few times so let me know what you find out. I also have a service manual somewhere, although it was not much help with this. You can get exploded parts diagrams from many websites and parts a fairly easy through Diamond equip on this site or InfoTech farmtrac parts. They got me stuff right from the factory in India. I would see where the sound is emanating from and go from there. Do a search of my name on this forum to follow my adventures with my loose pinion bolts.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD
Great info Clint S! We found the same two places for getting parts that you mentioned. We downloaded the parts manual when we first got our tractor a few years ago which was used when we got it. That parts manual has been very helpful. Then last year we finally broke down and purchased a digital copy of the shop manual. That is the first place we looked when we "broke" our tractor. Yep, you're right, there is nothing in the shop manual to help with 4wd problems... We will do as you suggested and search on your name for your pinion bolts saga.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD #8  
Great info Clint S! We found the same two places for getting parts that you mentioned. We downloaded the parts manual when we first got our tractor a few years ago which was used when we got it. That parts manual has been very helpful. Then last year we finally broke down and purchased a digital copy of the shop manual. That is the first place we looked when we "broke" our tractor. Yep, you're right, there is nothing in the shop manual to help with 4wd problems... We will do as you suggested and search on your name for your pinion bolts saga.

I have the 4x4 shop manual supplement somewhere, I will look.

/ 555DTC - Problem - 4WD
Oh, we hope you can find it! It will be a lifesaver... We didn't even know one existed.