injector pump

/ injector pump #1  

Clint S

Veteran Member
Tractor
555DTC Farmall 200
Think the pump on my 555 is bad, it is not frozen and I have no fuel at all to one cylinder when cranking and priming. Other two seem low pressure too. Anyone know how to remove the pump and keep it in time while it is being tested. Will the gear on the pump move when disengaged from the others. If not I could just remove the pump and mark the gear on the case of the pump since it is keyed. I would prefer not to have to take the whole front end off to mark the gears. I have limited diesel experience. Thanks
Clint

/ injector pump #2  
Is it an inline injection pump ? On most inline injection pump there are fuel delivery valves at the top of the barrel assembly. These are in effect, non-return valves which snap shut or close as soon as the fuel delivery pressure peaks; this is to ensure positive fuel flow in one direction only. Often - especially on older injection pumps the delivery valves become leaky and eventually fail altogether. Most cases are dirt, grit or other contaminates that get caught between the valve disc and the valve seat and allow it to leak back and thereby render the delivery valve ineffective.
I am not suggesting that you necessarily try to fix the problem, but in line with explaining what happens with a simple component. Most cases these check valve are easily repaired or replaced.
HTH.

/ injector pump
Thanks Jim I am always looking for info. I do think it s either a Bosch or Mico rotary pump though.

/ injector pump
It is a mico pump

/ injector pump #5  
If it is like the 665, it is a rotary Mico Bosch made in India with Bosch design.

I don't know if the 555 is similar to the 665, but this is what happened to ours. The bolts holding the pump became loose, letting the pump rotate and get out of time. The pump started rattling, sounding like it was going to fly apart. I was sure something had happened to the pump inside.

Before removal, we put the flywheel timing mark on the TDC mark. The pump has a locking screw on the shaft of the pump where you can tighten the shaft preventing it from turning once removed. Carried the pump to the pump shop where they bench mounted and checked it over. Found no defect in the pump. Expensive just to get it bench tested. Said it probably was just out of time.

The shop set the pump back to TDC and locked it down. Once the pump was reinstalled, engine started right up, but you could tell the timing was slightly off. With some trial and error, the correct timing was achieved. (You can tell if the timing is off by the way the engine runs). Rotate it until the engine is very sluggish, then start advancing until it is just right. Some trial and error. On the 665 there is a cover on the front of the engine covering the slotted gear that drives the pump. We just left the cover off until we got the engine timed. Slung a little oil but not much. Hope this helps you some with your problem.

/ injector pump
Mike your insight is spot on to what our dealer told me about timing the pump and the cover. Believe it or not we had the bolts come loose a few years after we bought it and I caught it after it broke the fuel. Feed line. Sadly we trucked it up to the dealer as he said he would remove and reinstall the pump for about $200 and that was enough for me not to mess with it (we would still be responsible for pump repair ) . Sadly (or not) the pump was not bad and it was a head gasket t was bad and that is why it was not starting.