535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft?

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft? #1  

Tex5String

Tractor
FarmTrac 535
Well, after 6 years of moderate use, my tappets are calling for attention.

In its mysterious way, the Operator's Manual recommends "rotating the second hole of the flywheel" to bring #1 to TDC/compression. How can I achieve a personal control relationship with the crankshaft? Remove the starter? There is a small cover on the flywheel housing opposite the starter: will this give access to the flywheel for prying and rotating?

Also, is there a mark on the flywheel for TDC #1, or do I need to rotate two complete revolutions, observing valve action to determine intake-comp-power-exhaust positions for #1/2/3 ?

Thanks, guys; you are the greatest!

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft? #2  
If I remember correctly on my 665, just put a socket on the front crank pulley. Pull the plug on the flywheel housing. It would help to have someone look at the flywheel while you rotate. You'll need a flash light to see the marking. If I remember correctly, it will have a small section of marks on the flywheel. Once you get it on the TDC mark, you'll need to look at your valve position on #1 to determine if your on compression or exhaust stroke. Your manual should tell you which cylinder valves you can adjust at TDC on those strokes.

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft? #3  
People tend to over complicate valve adjustment by reading too much into "recommended procedure". I've posted this before and I guess I will again.
Whenever I adjust valves I simply wipe down an area on top of each rocker arm with a bit of brake cleaner. Do whatever it takes to make sure the engine won't start if bumped over with the starter. Then locate a valve that's open(rocker arm down) and adjust the OTHER valve on that cylinder. Mark the adjusted rocker arm with a piece of soapstone and bump the starter until another rocker arm is down. Adjust the other valve on that cylinder and repeat the process until all the rockers are marked. That's it! No crankshaft or flywheel access needed, no timing marks to hunt for, and nothing else to remove and put back on later. Just pay attention while adjusting to make sure if the valve you're adjusting is intake or exhaust as the settings are usually different.

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft?
Thanks weathda and Harry -- great ideas!
I might have enough clearance to get an open-end on the crank pulley nut, but not a socket.
Harry's suggestion sounds like a quote from the Shadetree Mechanics' School of Advanced Studies.
Thanks again, guys. You are the greatest.

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft? #5  
Find the companion cylinder. When the companion cylinder is in overlap the other companion is at TDC, just find the firing order the companion cylinder is the one half way down the firing order. In an inline 6 firing order is 153624 so 1&6 5&2 3&4. This works for all engines. This method can also be used to check camshaft timing as well.

/ 535 tappet adjust: how to rotate crankshaft?
Well, guys, I finished the job twice already and need to do it again. It sounds like all the tappets are hammering!
Timster, this is a 3-cylinder diesel, so one power stroke every 240 degrees of rotation.
Harry, bump-starting doesn't clearly show me which cylinder is on compression, since the crank stops every time with all valves apparently closed.
When I bump or even start for a couple of revs, typically I will see both valves on a cylinder move, then the last one to move backs off again(crank reverses a few degrees). So if the int starts to open, then backs off to close, that cyl is at the beginning of the int stroke and I should be able to adjust the exh tappet, right?
<<Uh-oh, while writing this up I realize the cam may reverse enough to still be exerting some pressure on >> <<the exh pushrod! So I need to adjust exh after int has fully opened and closed,i.e. during compression. >>

Reverse logic for exh: bottom of power stroke/beginning of exhaust, so I adjust the int. This position should logically have no pressure on the int pushrod.

Good thing I'm retired and have time to fool with this project; only took me 2.5 hrs start to finish last time. Bad thing is we hit 90 degrees about 10:30 in the morning, so that's the end of my outside work.