battery qustion?

/ battery qustion? #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I bought a farmtrac 555 a few days ago the battery needed a charge for sitting so long, so I took it to Orillys yesterday to get it charge up. Today while in my field it started to spark! so I disconnected the batt. I thought I hook it up wrong but I didn't so anyone know what wrong?.

/ battery qustion?
sparks on the battery terminal and hood of tractor.

/ battery qustion? #4  
Does the 555 have a battery pan that swivels out? There's a thumb nut that should pull the pan down some. The battery sounds either too tall or is in a position after replacement that it now just touches the hood. Make sure your prop rod hasn't fallen out of the holder - if I recall it's directly above the batt.

/ battery qustion?
My battery pan does swivel out Weathda - looking at it again I saw a tear in the long cable near were I shut the hood so I'm thinking that that tear in the wire touched the hood and sparked so I took some electrical tape and taped the cable and trace the3 wires back and now that problem is fixed!.

` I found another problem! last night I parked it inside my pole barn and this AM I found a little pool of fluid on the floor by the left back wheel.

/ battery qustion? #6  
Oily, like hydraulic fluid?
Tires loaded? Humid day? Could just be condensation from cool loaded tires meeting warm humid air of the day.
Or a leak.

/ battery qustion?
Hydraulic fluid it must of blew there some on the back of the left tire.

/ battery qustion? #8  
Look at the line that runs from rear end to the tire hub. It has a hose over it close to the wheel. These hoses will leak when they get old or damaged. Hose is not expensive but back tire and brake disc have to come off to replace it.I have a 555 and I had to do both of mine right after I bought it (used) good luck.

/ battery qustion? #10  
The rubber boots that are on the brake shafts are notorious leakers check them