help!

/ help! #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
Last week I posted about the battery now today I start it put it in gear and SPARKS on the top of the hood again! shut tractor off still sparking don't know what this problem is because last time this happened I traced the wires both are on the right post I even wrapped a cut in the wire with electrical tape. I am not to happy at this moment now because I don't know what the problem is here!.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 255
   / help! #2  
My first thought is a short somewhere on the other end of the cables.

Bruce

/ help!
When I cool down I'll take a look and I have a nice burn hold on the hood I have to cover up.

/ help! #4  
It's pretty obvious what happened.
(1) Wrong battery for the machine (too tall)
(2) No shield over the positive clamp and electrode
(3) Battery is not strapped down and can vibrate and bounce

/ help! #5  
Hard to tell in the picture but it looks like that battery is to tall causing it to ground out onto the metal hood.

/ help!
Well took off cables from starter and found out were the red (hot) wire attaches was lose!!! so I might as well replace the starter and battery I don't think it would worth my money to have the starter rebuilt....oh Fawken I put grease on the pto!.

/ help! #7  
Are you saying the stud for the hot wire is loose or broken? Most starters have a nut on both sides of that stud that you can just tighten it up. Unless it shorted to ground, I don't see how that would cause the damage in the picture. Glad to hear you greased the PTO shaft but you may still need to clean it up with steel wool to get a yoke onto it.

/ help! #8  
As Fawken said - battery is too tall. Negative cable is obviously grounding on underside of hood.

/ help! #9  
As Fawken said - battery is too tall. Negative cable is obviously grounding on underside of hood.
Ummm, might re-read that one and think about it...
The negative terminal and the frame/hood should be at the same potential (unless this is a positive ground tractor).
Looks to me like the hood may be shorting between the positive and negative terminals.

Aaron Z

/ help!
I'm saying the housing where the screw is on that's what lose! I'll put a pic. up later.