(Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup

/ (Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup #1  

bmccutcheon

Tractor
FarmTrac 545
Finally have my first problem with this 2003 Tractor. Starting a week ago, everytime I startup the RPMs max out to Governor top speed. Engine Stop doesn't work. Have to put the tractor in high gear and hold the brake to shut it down. It does this a couple of times, then runs normally for the rest of the day. Governor should not be stuck in high as the tractor is always shut down at idle. BTW, the engine shutdown works everytime after running normally again. I have checked the pump linkage when it does a runaway, and the linkage extends and retracts normally at the pump. I have gently tapped the pump to see if a valve may be stuck with no change until after a couple of start attempts. Engine Oil is normal with no contamination seen. Good Oil Pressure. Suspect internal problem with the pump. Your Thoughts?

/ (Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup #2  
When was the last time you added oil to the pump?? or changed it??
I suspect the rack is hanging up because of lack of lubrication.. I see that on ALL the Farmtrac pumps I do.. Every singe one..
IF its the inline injection pump, remove the side cover.. 1or2- 10mm bolts.. you'll probably have to remove the hand primer first, & have a look at the inards.. I'll bet money its rusted..

/ (Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup
Thats what my goto Tractor guy in OK said as well. He had me add 1/2 Gallon of diesel fuel additive with lubricant to the fuel tank. I ran the tractor for an hour last night and it seemed to help. No runaways each time I restarted it. I will also open the side plate on the pump and check that as well. What should I use to manually lube the pump if necessary? Thanks for the response... Bill

/ (Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup #4  
1st we have to determine WHAT TYPE of injection system is on the engine..
An "inline pump" or "rotary"..
IF its an inline pump, the lines going to the injectors will be "in a straight line" coming off the TOP of inj. pump..& will have a long side cover.
IF its a rotary pump, the lines will be in a "circle" coming off the BACK of the inj. pump..
IF its an inline pump.. there is a BIG nut on the top of the governor,, 1" & something.. give it a wack or 2 w/ a hammer & remove.. add engine oil there.. about 1/2 qt.. the excess will run out.. & your not going to do any harm if to much oil added.. like I said, the excess will run out..
IF its a rotary pump.. the inj. pump is totally lubricated by the fuel.. no engine oil required..

Thank You. The Pump is an inline model. I see the big bolt on top of the pump on the left hand side. I went online and found the owners manual and located the section concerning the fuel pump. It says that there is a drain plug on it but does not identify it in the photo. I suspect it will be somewhere low on the pump. It says that the oil should have been changed at 300 hours. I suspect that youre right about the rust. I purchased the tractor at 550 hours and it has 600 hours on it now. I don't know how it was maintained. I started off changing all the Oils but did not get this done. Your assistance is Greatly Appreciated.

Update: I'm hoping that I got lucky. There was oil inside the pump, it was trashed, but there. I flushed the pump with a Gallon of Mobile 1 Full Synthetic until the oul ran clear. Thanks again for all the information.

/ (Long) Farmtrac 45 Dieseling on Startup #7  
Any time my friend.. IF you find yourself needing further assistance you can contact me direct at>> thepumpguysc at aol dot com..