Farmtrac - For real?

/ Farmtrac - For real? #11  
Dweeks said:
I looked at Farmtrac and wasnt impressed at all. JMHO. Service here with Kubota is 2nd to none.

Could you please elaborate why you were not impressed. I just clocked 60 hours on my 27 HP Farmtrac. We erected a pole barn on our property recently and the primary tasks for Farmtrac included but were not limited to: moving 40 ton of stone dust and crusher run gravel, drilling 21 holes 3’-4’ deep using 12” diameter PHD, moved piles and piles of loose dirt fill using FEL, maintained a dirt dry lot used for our horses by dragging an 18” Brush Hog box blade at times filled to the brim with dirt, tore into and leveled a 10’ high x 20’ diameter mound of soil that once was located in a streambed (the previous owner used a large backhoe to dig into the stream to build a pond leaving all of the material sitting right next to the pond). And just this weekend drilled another dozen holes with the PHD to set poles for paddock fence. The machine did everything that was asked of her.

Attachments

• PHD.jpg
    PHD.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 493
   / Farmtrac - For real? #12  
citytransplant: I see your 270 has a folding ROPS. Is that an option? The website specs list and show a non-folding ROPS.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #13  
citytransplant said:
the primary tasks for Farmtrac included but were not limited to: moving 40 ton of stone dust and crusher run gravel, drilling 21 holes 3’-4’ deep using 12” diameter PHD, moved piles and piles of loose dirt fill using FEL, maintained a dirt dry lot used for our horses by dragging an 18” Brush Hog box blade at times filled to the brim with dirt, tore into and leveled a 10’ high x 20’ diameter mound of soil that once was located in a streambed . . . The machine did everything that was asked of her.
So are you implying that other brands won't do those tasks? I've drilled well over 100 holes each season with my PHD, moved numerous trailer loads of dirt with my FELs, hauled dozens of pallets of mulch, wall stones and paving stones. Mowed, tilled, bladed, raked and snowblowed too. Any brand does those things.

I looked at the Montana versions (many models of Farmtrac are made by LG, and are mechanically identical to Montana). I was not impressed with many of the design features and thought the ergonomics were pretty bad. I've posted some very detailed photos of numerous points that were, at best, 1980's designs but certainly not up to the standards of modern tractors for design and ease of use. I should point out that the 1980's designs were on their newest models, not the old style units that are copies of the old Ford tractors. No question some of these are lower priced, but when I looked at them I saw so many features that I have on my other tractors that I was not willing to give up for the modest price difference. No need for me to repeat them here, like I said, I've written about them in great detail in the past and posted pictures to prove the points.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #14  
Bob, like you said, your points on the LG/LS tractors are very well documented and I for one won't argue with you when no argument is needed. Some of their ergonomics aren't "cutting edge."

The FarmTrac 270DTC does exactly what it is meant to, compete in the lower priced arena sub-30hp market. It competes with the likes of the JD790...and by all acounts a match in which the LS looks favorable on paper.

LG's are a little more basic, but the things you get for the money to some people are worth it. Their 30hp (300DTC) is an amazing machine with specs unheard of in its class...but it is more spartan. You want beauty go buy a higher end NH, JD, or Kioti (just to name a few), but if you want brawns then the LG machines are hard to beat (ergonomics be darn).

To each their own, and I know you aren't trying to start an argument, that wouldn't accomplish anything. FarmTrac is what it is, affordable strong tractors...that goes for their entire line-up. Just yesterday I sold a 545 w/FEL to a guy that thought he was going to buy a JD but had sticker shock...

Your opinions on the LS tractors are for the most part true. The only catch is their new "R" series which I have not seen yet but will have the chance to next week at Sunbelt.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #15  
gamble77 said:
Bob, like you said, your points on the LG/LS tractors are very well documented and I for one won't argue with you when no argument is needed. Some of their ergonomics aren't "cutting edge." . . . Your opinions on the LS tractors are for the most part true.
gamble77. . . that was a thoughtful reply and I appreciate the fact that you did not take my response as an attack. It was not. There are differences, and certainly there are monetary considerations. To each his own and I have no arguement with anyone who chooses to buy what I don't buy, but so often I read that "xyz tractor" can do some task . . . well don't ALL brands do the same tasks? Of course they do! Some do it with a little more effort, some with a little less, some with more/less comfort, or more or less ease on the operator, some are better suited to some tasks than others.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #16  
citytransplant said:
Could you please elaborate why you were not impressed. I just clocked 60 hours on my 27 HP Farmtrac. We erected a pole barn on our property recently and the primary tasks for Farmtrac included but were not limited to: moving 40 ton of stone dust and crusher run gravel, drilling 21 holes 3’-4’ deep using 12” diameter PHD, moved piles and piles of loose dirt fill using FEL, maintained a dirt dry lot used for our horses by dragging an 18” Brush Hog box blade at times filled to the brim with dirt, tore into and leveled a 10’ high x 20’ diameter mound of soil that once was located in a streambed (the previous owner used a large backhoe to dig into the stream to build a pond leaving all of the material sitting right next to the pond). And just this weekend drilled another dozen holes with the PHD to set poles for paddock fence. The machine did everything that was asked of her.

Bob summed it up pretty good. Personally I wasnt impressed with the ergonomics and how Farmtrac is slow to update their machines. A neighbor down the street has one (not sure which model) but the motor knocks loudly and it smokes more than it should....Im just not to crazy about the brand, but thats just me. Their service is not that great in my area. All tractors will do tasks.....Just like all cars will drive and get you from one point to another. Its according to who is buying it on whether they want a Hyundai or a Lexus or something in between.....

/ Farmtrac - For real? #17  
Iowachild said:
citytransplant: I see your 270 has a folding ROPS. Is that an option? The website specs list and show a non-folding ROPS.

You are very observant, Mike. The folding ROPS were on the unit when I bought it. I expected fixed hence was pleasantly surprised.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bob_Skurka said:
So are you implying that other brands won't do those tasks?

That’s quite a leap, Bob.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I asked Dweeks why he was not impressed with the Farmtrac. Between Dweeks and Bob S. the criticism leveled against the Farmtrac brand amounted to:

1. design features

A bit vague Bob. Would you be so kind as to either briefly enumerate these inferior design features or point me to one of your “very detailed photos of numerous points?” As a novice, I sincerely would like to see what I missed when I sized up my Farmtrac against the JD790 and Bota B7800 and found the specs to be superior and the price much less expensive. I don’t want to make the same mistake again when I go to “update” (see #2 below).

2. slow to update

Please help me as I don’t really understand this one. This is a basic tractor that I plan to keep for many years, not a pair of Nikes that are outdated before you get them home from the store. I drove a Jeep Wrangler for 10 years. It was plain vanilla, simple, no frills, and I wanted it that way. Each succeeding year after my purchase from what I recall, most updates that Chrysler saw fit to introduce were negligible at best. I loved my Jeep. I did the few repairs that were needed myself. And like my Jeep, the Farmtrac lacks some creature comforts (e.g., air suspension adjustable lumbar support seat) and technological savoir-faire (e.g., articulating axle) found on other units and costing a fortune to repair when they go bust.

3. ergonomics

Well, having little seat time in any other tractor but my own, my ignorance is my bliss. I am a small to average sized guy and I have not a problem with the location of the controls, seat, etc.

Bob_Skurka said:
well don't ALL brands do the same tasks? Of course they do!

My point exactly. And until someone provides unambiguous evidence that the Farmtrac is inferior, I stand convinced that I am doing the “same tasks” for less money than the guy or gal on a comparable blue, green, red, or orange unit. After all, at the end of the day a post hole is a post hole.

Bob_Skurka said:
like I said, I've written about them in great detail in the past and posted pictures to prove the points.

Like I said, I would really love to read what you wrote and view photos that you have posted and thank you in advance for pointing me in that direction.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #18  
citytransplant said:
A bit vague Bob. Would you be so kind as to either briefly enumerate these inferior design features or point me to one of your “very detailed photos of numerous points?”
Do some searches, there have been many, and I don't keep track of my old posts. But as gamble77 pointed out, (and he is a dealer) my points have been hashed out in detail, often with photos, and as he also pointed out (and while he & I may not agree on some) he stated my observations were, for the most part true. I'd tend to think they are all true, but I'll grant my friend some leeway to disagree with me ;)

Now you may well enjoy your tractor and find the controls reasonable to use. I suspect, however, that you do not have much seat time in many different brands, nor many different types of equipment (ag and non-ag) and perhaps that is why some folks can easily see inferior design and others cannot. Truth be told, anyone can get used to anything, but that doesn't mean that what they get used to is as good as something else, it just means they get used to it. Sort of like a "three on the tree" manual transmission versus "4 on the floor" and now that is evolving to 6 speed paddle shifters. All 3 make the car go. Some are smoother, some are more responsive, some are faster to gear, etc. Not trying to lay down insults here, just trying to point out somethings are better than others.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #19  
Citytransplant, If it makes you happy, that is all that matters. Farmtrac would not make me happy. It would do what I needed it to do, but when it breaks I will suffer because service is lousy at my dealer. I also didnt like the way it felt when I test drove one. It wasnt as comfortable as the Kubota or Massey I tested. My Kubota makes me happy and does what I need it to do. I do feel that when I ever sell mine for another one, I really dont think I will take as much of a hit in depreciation as you will, but thats my opinion. I tend to not buy vehicles and toys just because they are cheaper, I buy what makes me comfortable and what I want out of it. Now go dig some for post holes.;)

/ Farmtrac - For real? #20  
Hey Gamble. Looks like I may finally get to meet you. I will be in Moultrie on Tuesday and Wed. at the Montana display. I would like to get together and finally meet you. PM me and let me know when you will be there.

Maka