Farmtrac - For real?

/ Farmtrac - For real? #21  
Not to start anything Dweeks but according to JD Powers there is nothing between Hyundai and Lexus anymore. I just saw last Month or so that they rated the top three as Porsche, Lexus and then Hyundai. Oh well, just something I saw.

Maka

/ Farmtrac - For real? #22  
Bob, I appreciate your post and like the fact that this is staying productive and not a heated debate. I have to agree with Gamble that the 270 or 2740 is entry level. Montana calls it a "Value Compact". It is meant to compete in the JD790 (talk about late to update) range and in fact is far more comfortable, better specs, and more modern.

I will defer to Gambles assesment of the 300DTC/3040 as I don't see a 30hp anywhere that touches it. It is however tight for anyone over 6' in my opinion and so now enter the new R series.

The R series has more deck space, adj. steering column, all new layout for dash, gears, lift arms, new seat etc. The hydro units are sweet and oh so quiet. They are extremely nice and will match up in all categories with any manufacturer.

Maka

/ Farmtrac - For real? #23  
Always the same "know it all" person who likes to talk down the Montana and Farmtrac lines without ever spending more time with one other than to take a few photos of them.

How about opinions for people who have actually owned/operated a Farmtrac/Montana?

KB

/ Farmtrac - For real? #24  
Maka said:
Bob, I appreciate your post and like the fact that this is staying productive and not a heated debate. I have to agree with Gamble that the 270 or 2740 is entry level.
From the value point of view for a basic tractor the LG machines are pretty nice. What I stated stands as valid, and I will totally agree with you about your assessment of the 790. I'm not a fan of the JD 790 (or the NH TC30) and I detest the Kubota L2800 Gear and the Kioti LK series too. So none of those get compliments from me either. I've got no problem pointing out a bad a tractor that deserves it, I've never been one to support a brand blindly. I've owned too many and passed on more than I've owned.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #25  
Bob_Skurka said:
Do some searches, there have been many
Let me begin by saying I searched 6,856 posts of yours and read tens, if not a hundred and am quite impressed by the breadth of your knowledge and your generally balanced approach. I especially enjoyed reading the thread you created regarding box blades as well as a post or two on measuring and comparing lift capacity. I found the information that you posted very enlightening.

Bob_Skurka said:
my points have been hashed out in detail, often with photos … I looked at the Montana versions (many models of Farmtrac are made by LG, and are mechanically identical to Montana). I was not impressed with many of the design features and thought the ergonomics were pretty bad. I've posted some very detailed photos
I searched posts authored by you using keywords Montana as well as Farmtrac. You appear to be very familiar with the Montana line. I would argue that although very similar mechanically, the comparable sized Montanas and Farmtracs are not absolutely identical.

Bob_Skurka said:
I didn't like the rear remote control being under my right leg so that I had to move my leg to affect control.

My Farmtrac 270 lacks rear remotes, hence this criticism is not applicable to my tractor. As a side note, the Montana 2740 comes with a set of rear remotes standard while the 270 does not. At least that was the case when I did my side-by-side.

Bob_Skurka said:
I didn't like the fact that the loader uses hoses instead of rigid pipe.

I saw more than one photo that you posted that illustrated the shortcomings associated with the Montana loader. Namely hoses (vs. tubes) and curved arms that limit visibility. These in my opinion are valid criticisms however they do not apply to the Farmtrac. The Farmtrac 270 dogleg style blue 1040 loader uses stainless tubes to route hydraulic fluid.

Bob_Skurka said:
I didn't like the long throw of the 3pt.

I don’t know how one measures the throw of the 3 point, other than by eye, so I will grant you this one. In fact, admittedly I am not sure what the “throw” is, although I assume it is the distance the arms travel from fully up to fully down. I will assume the Montana 3 point is identical to the Farmtrac and if anyone on this board can discern this by eye, it would be you.

You speak above of not being impressed with “many” of the design features. I read most of your posts in the Montana and Farmtrac threads and could only find the three criticisms above in addition to a criticism regarding poor ergonomics. I can only address the ergonomics issue by repeating my ignorance is bliss defense. The Farmtrac is the only machine I have ever owned and operated for extended periods of time. I have been up in the saddle on more than one occasion for hours at a stretch and was none the worse for wear when the work was done.

Bob_Skurka said:
I suspect, however, that you do not have much seat time in many different brands, nor many different types of equipment (ag and non-ag) and perhaps that is why some folks can easily see inferior design and others cannot….. Not trying to lay down insults here
Insulting, no… Condescending, absolutely. There was no need to “suspect” anything as I openly admitted in my previous post that I have little seat time in any other tractor but my own.

A few posts back, Dweeks said he was not impressed with the Farmtrac. That prompted my initial post on this thread which was a genuine effort to determine what, if anything, I missed when I conducted what I thought was a painstakingly exhaustive examination of entry level tractors earlier this year.

Nonetheless, after searching diligently, I have yet to stumble upon compelling evidence in any of your posts, in any post on this entire board, on any manufacturer’s specification sheet, or on a dealer’s lot, that the Farmtrac 270 (or the Montana 2740, for that matter) is inferior overall to other tractors in its entry-level class. While it may not have the bells and whistles that other higher priced tractors have, the Farmtrac 270 still gets the manure moved.

Thanks for all of the time that you put into your posts, Bob. I found many of them helpful earlier this year when I was in the market.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #26  
Not intended to be condescending. But I am often blunt and people sometimes don't want to hear what I have to say. I have no problem with that.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #27  
citytransplant said:
You are very observant, Mike. The folding ROPS were on the unit when I bought it. I expected fixed hence was pleasantly surprised.
Well I noticed because the 270 is exactly the kind of machine I could be very happy with, except for the fact a folding ROPS is a must because when the time comes to buy new I can't afford to also build a storage bldg. with a taller door!!:eek:
But then a NH TC30 is also on my short list, so I guess that makes me an entry level, buget minded greenhorn!:)

Last edited:
   / Farmtrac - For real? #28  
All new 270DTC's have folding ROPS standard.

/ Farmtrac - For real? #29  
gamble77 said:
All new 270DTC's have folding ROPS standard.
Definitely on my short list now. Thanks!:D

/ Farmtrac - For real? #30  
If you be sure to get a 2007 model they will have larger standard industrial tires too