Food plot implements.

/ Food plot implements. #1  

Jksnvly

Silver Member
Tractor
07 2520
I want to utilize my tractor (JD 2520) to put in a couple of small 1/4-1/2 acre food plots. Anyone else build them? What do you use?

/ Food plot implements. #2  
I have heavy clay. I ran a middle buster through it, then a tiller.

/ Food plot implements. #3  
Jksnvly said:
I want to utilize my tractor (JD 2520) to put in a couple of small 1/4-1/2 acre food plots. Anyone else build them? What do you use?

What is the current state of the ground? Has it been worked lately or is it in some kind of pasture grass? Any saplings? And most importantly, what attachments do you own or have access to? A lot will depend on the answer to that last question.

/ Food plot implements. #4  
Short version,

Mow it, spray it, till it, spray it, seed it, pack it - enjoy it.

longer version, you need to cut the field down, wait a week for the plants to really start growing again then round up spray them. Wait a week or two, then till it good. Wait a couple weeks for the weed seeds to germinate then round them up again. Wait 3 days and spread the seeds you want, use a cultipacker to firm the seeds into the soil. Should be good to go.

jb

/ Food plot implements.
Thanks. I wasn't sure what implements to buy. I guess a tiller is my best bet.

/ Food plot implements. #6  
If you dont have rocky ground, tillers are nice....

/ Food plot implements. #7  
Jksnvly:

I agree as to the tiller, but Bill Barrett has a good suggestion to use a middle buster first especially if you are breaking up sod and have a heavy and rocky soil. Middle busters are not that expensive and they will find things you do not want your expensive tiller finding first :eek:. Jay

/ Food plot implements. #8  
I've had great results by discing with a disc harrow, spreading seed/fertilizer with a broadcast spreader then dragging with a home made rig consisting of stuff I found in the barn...basically a big piece of timber with massive anchor chain looped behind.

/ Food plot implements. #9  
john bud nailed it.

I use a 58" tiller and home made fence drag with excellant results every year.

Dont forget to do a soil sample for pH so you can see if any lime or other amendments should be added and tilled into the ground. Apply the lime now if large amounts are needed.

I have done winter wheat, rye, ryegrass, Imperial Clover, white dutch clover, wildlife mix with turnips and brassicas, corn and soybean, and Extreme by Whitetail Institute. All have worked great, and are great projects for a CUT.

Marty