Food Plot time again..

/ Food Plot time again..
Rob,

Is this the normal time of the year for planting, or are you doing it to take advantage of the cool weather and all the rain we've been getting?

What are you doing to amend the soil?

What are you planting?

Eddie

Typically yes. It mostly centers around the BIG push/start/prep for the deer season. Labor day is when most seed hits the ground with the long weekend. And as you know july and august can be really dry and not much will take off or if it does take off the dry spell will kill it. In September we usually get "some" rain and the weather tends to get slightly cooler...slightly.. :D Even this might be a little early, we hunted a lease in Iola for 4 years and every opening of the bow season the landowner would be disking his 30 acre rye field(didn't bother the deer or the "seasoned "hunters). During the gun season before his first cutting(November), you might have trouble finding a fallen deer in the knee deep rye. It was also like wading through water! The soil was good and he would lay down some heavy fertilizer, get 2 cuttings before letting the cows have it, last cutting in Feb-march I think, get maybe 130 bales.

I planted rye in the past, this year going back to oats again. I think I have a picture of this place from last year before the cows ate it all. Oats seem to pop faster and stay better during the season. Rye seems to get off to a slower start and peaks after thanksgiving(when most of the deer have gone totally nocturnal and the unofficial deer season ends in east Texas).

If you try some oats, ask for "whole oats", not "seed oats". The whole is sold as feed and is a LOT cheaper in most cases, plus you will still get over 90% germination. Spread it and drag it in. If you want it to really pop, when the shoots start to come up, hit it with some fertilizer (as much as you can afford :)) then hope for some rain. Oats grow well in shaded and wooded areas. I don't think they will do well on that red hill. Probably Bahia Grass is the only thing that will grow there, but that's cow food! :D