Food Plot time again..

/ Food Plot time again.. #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
I love the smell of chopped goatweed in the morning!!

Attachments

• food-plot (1).JPG
    food-plot (1).JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 178
  • food-plot (2).JPG
    food-plot (2).JPG
    225 KB · Views: 179
   / Food Plot time again.. #2  
I've broken the bank on my foodplot budget. Built my tractor shed and bought my disk, now I have no funds for planting anything this fall.:mad:

However, I've gotten interested in sorghum. I planted some earlier this summer and it just recently came to head and the deer really seem to like it and they don't eat the plant, just the grain. It is also very hardy and out competes the grass and weeds. Fertilizer requirement is apparently low too. It is also cheap, about $23 for 50#.

So, a few weeks ago I planted two patchs in sorghum. It shoudl be coming to head right about the start of deer season. But, that's going to leave two of my plots fallow and pretty much nothing to attract the deer in late fall and winter.

It is probably too late to put out any more sorghum.

Oh well.

Here's hoping for a good acorn crop!

/ Food Plot time again..
Did you ever post some pictures of the shed? Did I miss them?

Good acorn crop bad for our hunting. They don't have to move much and bypass the feeders until the acorns run out.

Easy budget for this one, gonna get BIL's spreader, he might by the rye or oats. And I spent about 1 quart of diesel. Not to bad. :D

Rob

/ Food Plot time again.. #4  
No feeders where I am. You can plant plots but no baiting. But, I have several big stands of mature white oaks and they will come to them if the acorns are there. Of course, if there are acorns everywhere that doesn't help, like you say, they don't have to move for food. So you really have to catch the rut at the right time.

Here's my thread about the shed. Scroll to the end for final pics:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/121492-yet-another-shed-project.html

/ Food Plot time again.. #5  
About 15 years ago, we planted 4 acres of forage sorghum in 30" rows against the woods on the advice of a friend who said deer wouldn't eat it. They didn't. On the other hand, they loved to run down the rows to wipe the flies off them, and did so most of the summer. We harvested it for silage in late September and did get a nice yield. IMHO, I think all we did was make the deer walk farther for alfalfa and corn, and provided a fly-free environment on the way. I guess it was a win-win for the deer population.

/ Food Plot time again.. #7  
I planted my food plot 16 days ago and it has not rained a drop, so it looks the same as the day I planted it,very dry in mn this summer. MH

/ Food Plot time again.. #8  
We haven't had rain in so long, some guys aren't even going to attempt to plant food plots. A buddy planted one in the spring that came up OK, but it's dying off from draught and overgrazing. It's nasty here, and it was just as dry last year this time.

/ Food Plot time again.. #9  
I planted my food plot 16 days ago and it has not rained a drop, so it looks the same as the day I planted it,very dry in mn this summer. MH

We have done the exact same thing with the exact same results. We need water badly.

/ Food Plot time again.. #10  
Rob,

Is this the normal time of the year for planting, or are you doing it to take advantage of the cool weather and all the rain we've been getting?

What are you doing to amend the soil?

What are you planting?

Eddie