Planting food plot help

/ Planting food plot help #1  

jerrynycom

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4720 Cab
Ok fellow JD owners, I have made the plunge to get the Kuhn tiller and also ordered a bottom plow for my food plot project.....After I plow the area, about an acre, than till it real good, my question is what is the best way to spread the seed down on the area WITHOUT a seeder? I am planting some deer chicory seed and the instructions say only to lay the seed about 1/4 inch deep, so what can I do after i spread the seed? Tilling it again will bury it too deep right? Any suggestions of planting this seed without having an expensive seeder? I see guys on TV using a spreader but how do you get 1/4 deep? Please help I need to do this in the next 2 weeks when I am at the property.

/ Planting food plot help #2  
An acre is about as much as I would want to do that way, but you can use an inexpensive "crank" hand seeder available most anywhere. If you have a light drag like a piece of chain link fence, that will bury the seed enough. If not you can walk around it just holding a little pressure on a garden rake, and that will cover the seed. I've gotten good germination in my somewhat smaller areas that way.

/ Planting food plot help #3  
Why not use an inexpensive seed roller and small spin spreader you should be able to rent these for the day.

Steve

/ Planting food plot help #4  
It all would depend on the soil. If yuor soil is heavy or clay like, then a chain drag ( as mensioned above) would be perfect. If you till this up and it is very fine and loamy, it would be better to spread the sead just prior to a rain. It you till it in, you will put it too deep.

/ Planting food plot help #5  
For small areas such as described above I have a small spin spreader (pull type) that I use behnd my riding mower. This works great and is cheap I think it was about $225-$250. Good for seed and fertilizer broadcasting.
I bought a used roller to press the seed down with from a rental store for $75 but you can buy a new one for about $150. A decent sized rental store should have both to use and may have some for sale too.

Don't get overly concerned about the quarter inch depth, as NMU98 implied you need to be careful that you dont get the seed too deep. If you plow and till the area as you mentioned then rolling the seed should give you a good stand.

Steve

/ Planting food plot help #6  
One book that you should pick up is Ed Spinzola's book "Ultimate Deer Food Plots". This guy is a master when it comes to food plotting. He is a local Michigan legend.

I agree with the other posts that if you have heavy soil spread with a hand crank spreader (Earthway makes a nice one) which you can buy at TSC. Then drag a chain link fence.

I bought a cultipacker which you can find on Craigs List, or local farm acutions. This cost me about $200 for a 5'. This packs the seed in nice, and makes a frim seed bed in lose soil.

Good luck!

/ Planting food plot help #7  
An acre isn't really that much. You can spread that amount of seed just by hand broadcasting with no trouble. Follow up by harrowing and you should be good. :D

That is the method I've used out at the Play Farm for a few years. It's worked for me with a minimum of expense. :D

My harrow is a home built contraption made from pickup teeth.:eek:

I do have a pull behind spreader but it seems to be more of an inconvenience for seeding than help.:confused:

Pictures show harrow being used for raking and a small plot that has been prepared and seeded as described above.

Attachments

• windrfowing hay.JPG
    windrfowing hay.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 510
  • seeded plot.jpg
    seeded plot.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 754
   / Planting food plot help #8  
I'm doing food plots too. I bought a hand-held seeder to spread seeds (very adequate for small areas like yours) and found a cultipacker (on craigs list) to assure good contact of the seeds with the ground.

If I had not found the cultipacker....I would have driven over the seeds with my four wheelers tires to pack the seeds. Or, perhaps dragged the seed bed with a chain link fence (but I think the 4 wheelers is a better solution).

/ Planting food plot help #9  
I have walked around with just a garden rake held loosly to the ground to cover seeds, and got very even germination. I also have driven over the plot with my garden tractor, packing things down with the turf tires as suggested, and that worked as well. I've tried being more conscious about raking the seed in, and it didn't come out as well as the two above methods.

/ Planting food plot help #10  
I suggested the small spin spreader and roller since I have had good results with them. I would think Jerry would have other projects and lawn work to use this equipment on, otherwise why have a cab tractor.

More to the point the seed roller does a good job of pressing the seed into the loose dirt with minimum cover. As long as you have moisture and sunshine you should get a good stand. I have used harrows with decent success but sometimes they cover the seeds too much.

Steve