Food Plot Questions

/ Food Plot Questions #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
I have planted a food plot this year and am looking for info about plot maintenance between now and deer season. I put in an alfalfa based hay mix as well as a cover crop of oats. This is intended as a deer field and do not need production from the plot so want to optimize for the fall.

Some questions come to mind:

1. Assuming the oats grow first, should I ever mow them or just let them stand?
2. Will the oats, if left standing, re-seed themselves for next year?
3. Can I "pack/roll" the plot after emergence with out doing more harm than good (I do not own a roller/cultipacker now but am looking for one at auctions)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Food Plot Questions #2  
Here in East Texas, I plant two food plots a year. Summer and winter. I'm heading to the store today to pick up some my seeds and hopeful that it's dry enough to disk up my winter plot today. My theory, and it's not an original thought, is to keep the animals around year round, and give them some additional protein and nourishment to supplement what Mother Nature provides. Since my weather changes so much, I need to change it up. But the other reason is that what I plan now will no longer be palatable to the deer by hunting season. They eat different foods throughout the year, so what they like for summer isn't the same as what they want to eat in winter.

I've hunted in and around alfalfa fields and know that deer love it. If you plant it now, will it still be good for them in the fall? do you have to cut it to keep it growing? or will it seed out on you and die off if you don't cut it?

I had oats in over the winter and wont use them again. I realize that deer are different in what they eat all over the place, but this winter I'm planting wheat, clover and peas.

What do your neighbors plant?

Eddie

/ Food Plot Questions #3  
I have planted a food plot this year and am looking for info about plot maintenance between now and deer season. I put in an alfalfa based hay mix as well as a cover crop of oats. This is intended as a deer field and do not need production from the plot so want to optimize for the fall.

Some questions come to mind:

1. Assuming the oats grow first, should I ever mow them or just let them stand?
2. Will the oats, if left standing, re-seed themselves for next year?
3. Can I "pack/roll" the plot after emergence with out doing more harm than good (I do not own a roller/cultipacker now but am looking for one at auctions)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The oats will grow first. If not cut, they will seed out.

Oats will not reseed themself for next year unless you leave them standing and no weather knocks them over.

Do not roll after emergence.

I do about the same every year for the deer at my place. I have found it best to leave everything alone until the oats are mature and seeded out. I then cut everything down and the oats will reseed. The deer love the new oat plants as well as the new alfalfa growth. The deer in my area will wander to the areas that I have added clover to the seed, so this year I put clover in with the alfalfa.

Your oats are there in the begining to keep out weeds, then to provide you with seed to replant them, and then to feed the deer.

There is no need to do anything but cut the oats. The rain will plant them for you.

Good luck!

/ Food Plot Questions #4  
If you want to draw deer, just plant a garden. It's most effective if you also try to fence them out.:)

/ Food Plot Questions
The oats will grow first. If not cut, they will seed out.

Oats will not reseed themself for next year unless you leave them standing and no weather knocks them over.

Do not roll after emergence.

I do about the same every year for the deer at my place. I have found it best to leave everything alone until the oats are mature and seeded out. I then cut everything down and the oats will reseed. The deer love the new oat plants as well as the new alfalfa growth. The deer in my area will wander to the areas that I have added clover to the seed, so this year I put clover in with the alfalfa.

Your oats are there in the begining to keep out weeds, then to provide you with seed to replant them, and then to feed the deer.

There is no need to do anything but cut the oats. The rain will plant them for you.

Good luck!
Thank You