Why we do foodplots

/ Why we do foodplots #1  

Baranx4

Gold Member
Nice to see this site has included foodplots, I think it's a little late in coming. If someone is looking for sites that specialize in foodplots they might want to consider qdma and iowawhitetail. At iowawhitetail look for dbltrees corner as he has spent enough time and money to have his own tv show and book. He uses the handle lickcreek at qdma.

These sites have shown that deer don't care if the oats are buckforageoats or regular jerry oats. Also do searches here and elseware to see where you can pickup ag chemicals if you can't get them at a discount local. Also consider the source who replies when posting a question, nothing worse than spending your hard earned money on something that was recommended by someone who didn't know or experience the answer.

This site has it's leg up on most in that most food plotters aren't farmers and with this site here the food plotters are farmers.

When starting a business they say the most importand aspect is location, location, location, with food plots it's soil test, soil test, soil test. Nothing worse that spending your hard earned money and what you planted turns out poorly because of something as simple as a too low or high ph.

Here's last years Pa. archery 12 pointer . It makes the foodplots worthwhile.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/baranx4/ARCHERY2010008.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/baranx4/ARCHERY2010009.jpg

/ Why we do foodplots #3  
That aint bad at all!

/ Why we do foodplots #5  
Food plots enable several doe kills on my place every year.:thumbsup:

In fact, over the last 5 years or so, by working with my neighbors, we have cut the local deer population in half. You can actually harvest soybeans instead of calling the insurance company. Even on the small fields!

Food plots are not about having more deer. Just a few healthy well fed ones with a balanced sex ratio and age structure. Hopefully some of the old fat ones have big horns!

/ Why we do foodplots #8  
C'mon, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Where's the sport ?

/ Why we do foodplots
C'mon, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Where's the sport ?

Clearly you've never bowhunted if you are asking that. How is it any different from hunting around a regular ag field. My footplots are for supporting a deer population, with appropriate cover and bedding areas on my property.

FYI I also have one of the few areas in my area that support cover for pheasants, quail, and grouse. Before I started there hadn't been pheasants, and quail unless it was released locally by the state.

/ Why we do foodplots #10  
This is a real touchy subject here in N.Y.. Don't believe me, go on some of the N.Y. hunting forums. See, N.Y. law says no feeding or baiting of deer. The feeding , because of CWD or mad cow disease, which seems to be in check. They believed it was spread through to close of contact with other deer when being human fed. Baiting has never been allowed. Food plots are grown to draw deer in. They are legal in N.Y.. Kind of a double standard. We have no pheasants unless the state releases them for hunting. The ones release don't survive the winters anymore. The ringneck was the old time pheasant of the 70's here. They say it lack of habitat, I question that. I think because less are raised by groups like 4-H club kids. We use to raise 98 birds and release on the farm. Always had pheasants.

Last edited: