Deere Harvest from a foodplot

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
Here is a pic of 3 deer and they were all shot within 20 yards of the same foodplot area and all 3 were shot from the same stand. They were all shot in 3 straight hunting seasons. 2004-2005 and 2006. 8 point, 10 point and 11 point. The main plot was 2 acres of corn and around the plot perimeter was various clovers. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• kevinandsiddeer.JPG
    kevinandsiddeer.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 674
   / Deere Harvest from a foodplot #2  
Its always nice to have a great spot. I had one that was great for bow season. Just a little clump of woods in the middle of big fields. So the deer would bounce from woods to woods and the spot I was in was the main pathway between the two large woods. It was easy to go out there and see bucks in the 110-150 range coming through there during archery. Once gun season came around it got pushed out from all the other hunters so it was only a good archery spot. Then the owners clear cut the entire clump and left it lay. They were going to tear it all out but sold the property and now its just a jungle of brush and briars :(

Where I built my tower though is on my own property and thats a good spot for the same size deer. Every year I see at least one nice buck worth shooting. Two years ago I messed up and never had a chance to shoot a 140 class buck but he was there, last year I took one that I regret shooting. He was a 115 class and I originally let him walk but when he acted like he knew I was in the tower and spooked out to 75 yards I decided to drop him. Still regret that choice but oh well. He was a nice 2 year old but would have been a wonderful 3 year old if he would have made it through the season.

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot #3  
In the thumb of Michigan, 3.5 yr old 10 pt and a 5 yr old 8 pt. It was a tuff gun season in Michigan this year, Lowest #'s on the buck poles in history. Not because of population but the weather conditions and an earlier than normal rut.

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot #4  
Great story and some nice bucks!!!!

What happened since then? Do you still hunt there?

Eddie

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot #8  
Need to let them get a couple more years on them, they all look like 2.5-3 year old bucks with excellent genetics. Just think what a year or two more would do to those racks.

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot #9  
Need to let them get a couple more years on them, they all look like 2.5-3 year old bucks with excellent genetics. Just think what a year or two more would do to those racks.

While I agree in personal restraint if thats what you want to manage your area it isn't yours or anyone elses right (well, except the state I guess) to tell someone else they shouldn't shoot a legal deer if they have the opportunity. Not everyone hunts for a mega trophy deer. Heck, a lot of hunters in a lot of areas would go their entire lives and never shoot or even see a deer the size that was taken in this thread. My friend who is in his 50's killed his very first buck this year on our land. He has hunted over 30 years and for various reasons just never managed to shoot a buck. It was a nice buck but nothing that would make the record books but it was the highlight of his hunting career. I personally have 3 decent bucks hanging on my wall that mean something to me. I don't shoot young bucks and let them walk and get older yet this year I shot a 4 point and it was the most memorable deer I have ever taken so far, the reason being, my 7 year old daughter had been with me and the smile on her face and her reaction and excitement brought more joy to me then anything else. Theres so much more to hunting then the size of a bucks antlers and as long at the hunter is happy and enjoying their time outdoors then no one should say anything to discourage them.

/ Deere Harvest from a foodplot

The 8 and 9 pointer's were my DIL's first and my Son took the 11 pointer the last year they hunted. They have both quit hunting and sold that property. No one is hunting the property now, however, no one is managing the foodplots either. Ken Sweet