Corn Sheller

/ Corn Sheller #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
Hand corn sheller, has anyone used one and is it easy to use? I am growing popcorn and needing something to shell the corn with and looked online and found the hand shellers but have no experience.
PJ

/ Corn Sheller #2  
If you mean the type that you feed the corn in the top and you crank, then yes, I have used them and they are pretty easy. Good ones shouldn't be hard to find used, or you can buy a new one for a few hundred bucks. Now if you are talking about the little ring shaped thing that you manually run down the ear, IDK. Might work for a small amount but I'd think it could get pretty tiring.

/ Corn Sheller
If you mean the type that you feed the corn in the top and you crank, then yes, I have used them and they are pretty easy. Good ones shouldn't be hard to find used, or you can buy a new one for a few hundred bucks. Now if you are talking about the little ring shaped thing that you manually run down the ear, IDK. Might work for a small amount but I'd think it could get pretty tiring.

Thanks for the reply, yes the hand crank type is what I was looking at. I have seen them on the internet but had no background on them until your comments.
I figure I will be shelliing about 200 ears.
PJ

/ Corn Sheller #4  
Go to steam and antique tractor shows. Most of them have flea markets. I picked up two of them for $150.00. Two, because each one had some better individual parts than the other. Between the two of them, I'll have a very nice, working unit. They were made by McCormick/IHC, and work very well.

Joe

Attachments

• 0919111750.jpg
    0919111750.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 3,948
  • 0919111750a.jpg
    0919111750a.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 2,538
   / Corn Sheller #5  
They work great for field corn. Don't know if they would remove the smaller kernel on popcorn as well. You do a lot of cranking for a bushel and will feel muscles you have't used in a while

/ Corn Sheller
Go to steam and antique tractor shows. Most of them have flea markets. I picked up two of them for $150.00. Two, because each one had some better individual parts than the other. Between the two of them, I'll have a very nice, working unit. They were made by McCormick/IHC, and work very well.

Joe

I pulled a search on Bing and found many at auction sites all over the US. Problem right
now is that nothing was in my area but did post a wanted notice on Craigs List so will
see what happens. I agree, these look really good for what I need.
PJ

/ Corn Sheller
They work great for field corn. Don't know if they would remove the smaller kernel on popcorn as well. You do a lot of cranking for a bushel and will feel muscles you have't used in a while

Thats why I was looking at a pulley type for use with small electric motor. The best would be to get the manifactured ones made for small operations. I posted on Craigs List so will see what happens.
PJ