Deer Stands

/ Deer Stands #11  
A friend got some free pallet racking and very simply set up a 14' rack that is 4x6'. Built a wooden floor and uses a fold up portable blind on top. Very nice and not much cost.

/ Deer Stands #12  
Not sure where you are from. But in MN I put up a half dozen of these roto-molded stands. They cost me about $800 a peice with stand, ladder, windows and all treated lumber. About 5 feet diameter. I have some on 12' high 4x4's and a few are higher (to 16').

I like em for safety and with a small heater they are quite warm. We use a swivel office chair in ours. Young hunters can get away with allot of movement in these stands. And....if you doze off....you wont fall on your fanny. :laughing:

Attachments

• land 007.jpg
    land 007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5,832
  • land 014.jpg
    land 014.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,910
   / Deer Stands #13  
I have built several enclosed stands over the years and no two are alike. One piece of advice is to take a step ladder to the stand location before building to determine the height that best fits the location. Happy hunting.

/ Deer Stands #14  
Foggy do you burry the legs into holes or use wire and ground anchors to hold them in place?

/ Deer Stands #15  
Definately use guy wires.My brother-in-law didn't and his blew over.Mine has the guys and a full staircase.

/ Deer Stands #16  
Foggy do you burry the legs into holes or use wire and ground anchors to hold them in place?

Normally I drive a fence post alongside two (or more) of the posts. Then I drill holes and use screws to attach the posts together.

I also have used ground anchors / cables......and have driven treated 2x4's into the ground alonside - just as with the steel posts.

None have ever tipped over through several years of use.

/ Deer Stands #17  
Hi,
I've been looking to build a elevated deer blind to comfortably fit two people for next deer season. My son is getting old enough to come hunting and i need a stand he can hunt in with me. I've looked at the two person ladder stands but i feel like i can build a more comfortable blind for the price of one or cheaper. Does anyone have any pictures or any ideas for building one. I've got a basic plan but any input would help. Thanks, Josh

Hey Josh........I was in the same situation before this past hunting season. Wanting to bring my wife and my sons from time to time, I opted for a couple of 4x6 molded box blinds called the sportsman's condos at about $1100 a piece. These came without legs however, there was a steel base included with the box that had 4.5' x 4.5" tubing extensions welded in position. All I had to do was buy four 4x4's.....8' in length, slip them into the tubes and lag bolt them into position. This was done with the stands on their sides. They were easily stood up by hand with two guys. These are pretty nice and stay really warm with a nice heater. It's pretty tight with two adults.

Next, I decided to attempt a build of my own with the help of a cousin. We built two 4x6 boxes that came out awesome. I have two office chairs in each one along with a heater and there is plenty of room. I used Plexiglas for the windows and made a vertical track on the outside of the stand for them to slide in. I installed drip guards above all of the windows and doors. We built them with sloping roofs.......6.5' on the short side and 7' on the tall side.

I fabricated the bases out of 2.5" angle for the frame that the blind sits in. I made each base 6' x 6' to allow for a 2' porch on the back of each stand. The legs were made from 2 3/8" drill stem. Overall, with the lumber, paint, Plexiglas, screws, carpet and the steel for the bases, I don't have $700 invested.....in both stands! If you are handy with a tape, skill saw and screw gun.....I'd recommend building your own.:thumbsup:

I hope this info helps..........good luck to you!

Scotty

/ Deer Stands #18  
I love the spirit of this thread. Stands that allow for two or more comfortably make me happy. I've built one on my ranch and I'll be building two more - one with a loft - this spring. I can appreciate that people want to go out and hang in a tree on their own but I love going out to the blind with my wife and spending the day. It doesn't hurt that it's carpeted, has a heater and is completely weather tight. When it's her turn to shoot, I swear I've never slept better than in that chair as I fall off listening to Prairie Home Companion or whatever. A single blind is a shelter; a two-person blind has no limits. Cull, camp...don't make me come up with another "c" word - but that's just another good reason to build a bit roomier.

/ Deer Stands #19  
I love the spirit of this thread. Stands that allow for two or more comfortably make me happy. I've built one on my ranch and I'll be building two more - one with a loft - this spring. I can appreciate that people want to go out and hang in a tree on their own but I love going out to the blind with my wife and spending the day. It doesn't hurt that it's carpeted, has a heater and is completely weather tight. When it's her turn to shoot, I swear I've never slept better than in that chair as I fall off listening to Prairie Home Companion or whatever. A single blind is a shelter; a two-person blind has no limits. Cull, camp...don't make me come up with another "c" word - but that's just another good reason to build a bit roomier.

Very nice post. It does my soul good to hear from someone else who truly enjoys his spouses company. I hear nothing but complaints all day long at work - guys whining about their wives, complaining and moaning. Has really gotten old.

/ Deer Stands #20  
Very nice post. It does my soul good to hear from someone else who truly enjoys his spouses company. I hear nothing but complaints all day long at work - guys whining about their wives, complaining and moaning. Has really gotten old.

Aint that the truth:laughing: Thats how they are until dinner time!! Then mamas gold.

I enjoy doing things with my wife, she was with me years ago when I took my 1st Bull elk. 9 hours of packing him out, eating snow and she even got to see a cougar! real trooper. One of the most memorable hunts I've had.