Deer Stands

/ Deer Stands #1  

wilkesjb10

Hi,
I've been looking to build a elevated deer blind to comfortably fit two people for next deer season. My son is getting old enough to come hunting and i need a stand he can hunt in with me. I've looked at the two person ladder stands but i feel like i can build a more comfortable blind for the price of one or cheaper. Does anyone have any pictures or any ideas for building one. I've got a basic plan but any input would help. Thanks, Josh

/ Deer Stands #2  
Josh with all different configurations of stands you may need to be more descriptive. What type of material are you looking to use, are you looking at a box blind type of stand, and will you be gun hunting or using a bow? Just a few questions that come to mind

/ Deer Stands #3  
If you are going to build a free standing box blind check out"'elovators box blind supports" I use them to build a box blind a couple years ago.Good starting point.

/ Deer Stands #5  
I prefer to have mine elevated by the use of high ground! 6'x6', mostly used materials, also makes a good winter "break room". ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• FARM 2007 004 - Copy.JPG
    FARM 2007 004 - Copy.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 976
  • FARM 2007 005 (Small).JPG
    FARM 2007 005 (Small).JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 967
   / Deer Stands
The stand will mainly be used for rifle hunting and yes, i'm looking at an elevated blind type. i've found some pictures on the internet but was looking for some examples to design off of.

/ Deer Stands #7  
I have built a few, will get some pictures next time out and send some. In my experience, I can build for much better for less than a store bought ladder stand. Using new, diminsional lumber and common tools, have built a 4'x6' stand on 16' legs (2' buried in ground for stability) with deck about 10' off ground (I use remaining legs above deck level for wall supports) for under $200.00 (included roof, walls, ladder, hardware and preservative stain).

I have also built using cedar logs to save money (from my own bush) but that does make it a bit more difficult to assemble.

/ Deer Stands #8  
as mentioned...

I use these for bow hunting so wanted an open deck area. For gun hunting, you could enclose more of it, add a shooting rail, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 4,964
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 3,380
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 9,269
Last edited:
   / Deer Stands #9  
I went to the 4x4 double 8 site they said you can get their product at gander mountain.
Nice stand avondale, I like the way its backed up to the hemlocks.

/ Deer Stands #10  
Josh with all different configurations of stands you may need to be more descriptive. What type of material are you looking to use,

I agree, Do you have any materials already? metal, or wood.

Reason I ask is, I built an 8'x8' this year. The base is all steel since I had it laying around, the box is standard 2"x4" built. The stand base I made is 13' to the in-floor door,( I did this since I had the room and wouldn't have the extra water issues).

Building a blind is pretty basic construction depending on the materials you have/buy. Also what level of skill and tools you have available, either way, there is enough knowledge on TBN to build you a 6000 sq ft blind so..:D

I have, if bought now, around $200 in the steel base, 3"x3" square leg post cemented in the ground, 3'x3' outside base frame with 6" perlin as floor joist on 16" center. I also framed the in-floor door with 3"x3".

$450 approx. for the "box"
2 sheets of #2 3/4" plywood for the decking (floor)(( easy since at 8'x8' it works out with no cutting))

Walls I built, then had help and a tractor getting them up and lag bolted to through the metal frame. all 2"x4" standard construction, 7'6" tall. I used 7/16 OSB and 3 coats of exterior flat Green. The roof I also used the same OSB, but used 2"x4"s for roof joist and used metal hangers. put down new roof felt and used some old barn tin for now that I had from an old chicken coop I took down at my mothers. ( I used metal "drip edge" on the roof as well)

Last I caulked the exterior corners and trimmed with 1"x3"s
took about 2 1/2 days at my speed:laughing:
I can get photos if you'd like.

What ever you build, build around your windows if you have some , or if going new, at least know the size opening you need to trim out. same goes for the door. If your going Plexi-glass to save $$ then see whats available there (width / height).

Deer view windows has some good stuff, I used the "hinge windows" but after getting them i will later change to the sliders.

Deer View Windows