Plot in Lumber trails

/ Plot in Lumber trails
4 years? not sure I can wait that long....hopefully the tractor will be done soon and once the cuttings are gone I can see what I am dealing with

/ Plot in Lumber trails #12  
Rent a Mini-excavator with a thumb, lot smoother than a wheel backhoe and more fun too! . . .John

Attachments

• cat excavator 2.jpg
    cat excavator 2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 242
  • cat excavator 3 .jpg
    cat excavator 3 .jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 303
  • cat excavator.jpg
    cat excavator.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
   / Plot in Lumber trails #13  
If it were me I would plant around the stumps and wait for them to rot. Pine stumps usually rot within four years.

They may rot that fast in Missisippi.....but in our sandy soil they will last a long time. Maybe a decade or more. For Pine stumps......grinding is the best way for me...... much faster.......and when your done you dont have stumps to bury or burn or haul. :thumbsup:

/ Plot in Lumber trails #14  
If it were me I would plant around the stumps and wait for them to rot. Pine stumps usually rot within four years.
Same here in Florida, termites will see to it, and if you want to speed up the process throw a little dirt on top of the stumps.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #15  
Lineman North Florida said:
Same here in Florida, termites will see to it, and if you want to speed up the process throw a little dirt on top of the stumps.

Here you will see what looks like a solid pine stump and its only a shell. You can step on it and the stump will fall apart.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #16  
I did that in one of my bottom fields, the problem was the yellow jackets that turned it into a home hated me kicking their roof in. Only stung 3 times, it could have been worse.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #17  
I concur with others you can rent a stump grinder and get 20-30 6-12" size in a day maybe more.

Grind them 4-6" below grade then disc the area once you have all the bigger brush cleaned up will level it out and cut up the needles/leftover branches into a finer mulch mixed with the chips. Then a lot of lime some fertilizer and seed of choice.

Depending on your soil if its rocky stumping will leave you with a big mess of roots and rocks to clean up plus I have found 10 years after stumping the ground settles more vs where the stumps were ground down. These were big pine 30-40" across the stump at ground level so when you dig one of these out they are 5-6' in diameter and weigh 1000+lbs due dirt and rocks embedded.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #18  
I have about 5 miles of trails that wind through my land.....and connect my deer stands and food plots. All of these trails can be disc'd or tilled....and all of the trails are covered in clover. They USED to have lots of stumps in the trails (I have ground out over 1200 stumps) and in my food plots.

Here's a pic of a food plot, through the windows of my stand, which used to be stumps. I think this pic shows some brassica and the remains of some beans.

The food plots are about 30 feet wide with about 30 feet of timber between them in this instance. I have a "loop" connecting the plot areas about 100 yards distant in this pic. Makes for easy "farming". ;)

We have watched scores of deer through these windows.....and have killed quite a few too. Good stand - with cover nearby for "security".

Attachments

• P1040549 (Medium).JPG
    P1040549 (Medium).JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
   / Plot in Lumber trails #19  
Here's another pic of our trails that wind through the woods....and a rental grinder I used before buying my Woods 3 point grinder. Also a pic of liming my trails / plots.

I paid about $150 per day (plus fuel) to rent the self propelled 25 HP grinders as shown. I could grind up to 200 pine stumps per day with one of these machines. Most of my stumps were sheared off a few inches above ground and were 12 to 14" diameter. Your results may vary. ;)

Attachments

• P1040276 (Medium).JPG
    P1040276 (Medium).JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 253
  • P1020151(2) (Small).JPG
    P1020151(2) (Small).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 278
  • P1020090(1).jpg
    P1020090(1).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 262
   / Plot in Lumber trails
Your trails look great, exactly what I am going to do. Ginding just seems like such a slow way of going. I have used a similar grinder but it was on some pretty big stumps 30 inch diameter. I have some time coming in March I will have to see about renting one.

Thanks