Plot in Lumber trails

/ Plot in Lumber trails #1  

Vern

Silver Member
Good morning

I closed on 24 acres in Southampton County VA on Friday. The pines had been thinned earlier in the year but they left one heck of a mess. The trailes are piled with cuttings and needles and they left stumps up a couple inches.

To be able to plant a small food plot this spring I need to get the stumps out (6 to 12" diameter) and the cutting up.

I am going to make a brush fork for the FEL but any suggesations on the stumps?

Vern

/ Plot in Lumber trails #2  
Back-hoe........rent if you have too.Better plan on limeing...high acid soil with all the pines.If they had left the stumps high you may have been able to pull with a tractor.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #3  
Back-hoe........rent if you have too.Better plan on limeing...high acid soil with all the pines.If they had left the stumps high you may have been able to pull with a tractor.

+1 on the backhoe:thumbsup: unless there is only a few, like 2!!:D

I have dug out stumps (Oak) with my tractor and it is a labor of "love" for sure. Backhoe is 100 times faster. Use your tractor to do the "finishing", filling holes and smoothing.

/ Plot in Lumber trails
I am looking at possibly 20 to 30 stumps in the first area. I would like to take them all but thats hundreds.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #5  
excavator, probably don't need a real big one somewhere around 12000 lbs for that size stump. Will make short work of it. get the largest one with a blade you can dig and smooth all at once

/ Plot in Lumber trails #6  
You could use the stumps as fencing too, puting them around the property to control where the deer can enter your property.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #7  
The lowest pH I've ever seen came from 30 miles from you. Came back at 4.2! Needed a ridiculous amount of lime, especially for a sandy soil.

Cant emphasize a soil test enough, nothing will grow that low.

/ Plot in Lumber trails #8  
I have used a stump grinder to remove over 1200 stumps from my land. First I used a rental grinder(s)....and took about 200 per day of pine stumps. Later I bought a 3 Point Woods Grinder for my tractor and have taken about 600 stumps with the tractor.

For 30 stumps.....I'd rent a 25 HP Raygo or Vermeer self propelled.....and have them gone in a few hours. :thumbsup:

/ Plot in Lumber trails #9  
If you are renting a mini exc. get one with a thumb it's the only way to go

/ Plot in Lumber trails #10  
If it were me I would plant around the stumps and wait for them to rot. Pine stumps usually rot within four years.