Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have always planted by broadcasting seed after plowing, discing etc. I now have a 5' Truax NoTill drill and also a Allis Chalmers 3 row NoTil planter I just restored. I bought an old Allis Chalmers book on NoTil that was written years ago when NoTil evidently was first being used. (By the way, did you know "No Til" was a patented Allis Chalmers brand name?) By having these, it hopefully will change how I plant and prepare the plots, and maybe save time and allow me to plant when conditions are not ideal and when rain is limited. I read that NoTil conserves precious soil moisture and enhances germination. Yet with NoTil, I see that herbicides are more important since plowing cannot be used for weed control.

My question involves the use of herbicide (Roundup like products). When do you use them in relation to planting, whether it be Spring for corn and beans, or Fall for grains and clover. I know there are also Roundup ready seed that can be sprayed after germination also, but I would be concerned about any residue. So can someone who uses NoTil techniques walk me through this process. When do you spray in relation to when you seed, what are the alternative practices. If you had these two pieces of equipment, how would it be best to take advantage of their NoTil capabilities, to minimize soil preparation? Any advice you can give me about NoTil practices including herbicide usage would be appreciated! I live in upstate S.C.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #2  
I plant no-till corn and soybeans with an 8 row planter. I have spray nozzles mounted on th planter so I apply roundup when I plant. Some farmers prefer to spray a wk or so ahead of the planter. Either way will give good results.

Roundup has no soil activity, it only kills plants that it is sprayed on so you need not be concerned about it getting into the soil and hurting your seedlings after they sprout.

I would spend a little extra for the roundup ready seeds so weed control during the growing season will be cheaper and easier.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #3  
I plant no-till corn and soybeans with an 8 row planter. I have spray nozzles mounted on th planter so I apply roundup when I plant. Some farmers prefer to spray a wk or so ahead of the planter. Either way will give good results.

Roundup has no soil activity, it only kills plants that it is sprayed on so you need not be concerned about it getting into the soil and hurting your seedlings after they sprout.

I would spend a little extra for the roundup ready seeds so weed control during the growing season will be cheaper and easier.

Exactly right...I had an extension agent tell me the same thing...no soil residue from round up.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots
In the South, when do you plant corn and beans, what variety do you use for wildlife plots? So roundup ready plants can be sprayed anytime during their growing cycle without any harm? One of my hunting buddies says he would not want to eat deer that had been feeding in a plot sprayed with Roundup. I see his point but I am sure most of our commercially available food products have been affected by lots more chemicals that that.

If I spray a plot a week before planting, would further weed control be necessary throughout the summer and early Fall? Keep in mind this is for deer, not production.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #5  
Im in south MS, we start planting corn in early march thru may. If your gonna notill corn wait till your soil temp is 60 degrees. Check it with a little simple auto a/c thermoter available @ auto parts place. Just stick the tip in th ground. Start planting your beans in late may. Im not sure about what variety will do well in your area.

Yes you can spray anytime while its growing. If you are just planting for deer you may not have too spray during growing season. Just dont let weeds take it over.

As far as eating the deer is concerned, im sure your buddy has eaten deer that have been fed roundup ready corn.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #6  
Also, you may want to use drill to plant your beans. The beans will quickly shade th ground between th rows helping you with weed control.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #7  
When using non selective herbicides especially with out any prior experience you should spray 2 weeks before you begin working up the plots. This way if you missed any or don't have a good kill, you can re-spray.

I personally like to till then wait a couple weeks for weed growth to start, then spray. After spraying I will plant a few days to a week later.

The same chemicals are used in production of grain that feeds your hamburgers, pork chops, and chickens. Not to mention what is used for vegetables and fruits. The buddy is gonna get awful hungry if he doesn't want to eat something that feeds on plants treated with herbicides.

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #8  
There are different types of herbicides.

Non-selective - like Roundup or groximone, kills most anything green. You can spray these before the planted crop comes out of the ground, or on special GMO crops designed not to die from the spray.

Broadleaf herbicides - like 2,4-D or Banvil or 100's of others, they do not hurt grass crops (corn is a grass....), but kill broadleaf weeds.

Grass herbicides - Select and others - they kill grass plants, but don't hurt broadleaf plants like soybeans.

So, the hard part is killing grasses in a grass crop, or killing broadleaf weeds in a broadleaf crop. For that you need to identify your weeds and pick herbicides that don't kill your crop, but kill some of the weeds you have.

You can tankmix 2 or 3 of the herbicides and apply at special times to make things work on many different weeds at once. But it takes attention to detail and it takes timing. Most herbicides work better on small weeds, 4 inches or shorter. Roundup is different, it kills tall weeds too.

As you can see, using Roundup seeds and Roundup is a lot more foolproof....

Typically you need to spray early, before or right around planting time, and then spray again when the crop is a couple weeks out of the ground. After that the crop probably takes care of itself.

Some of the herbicides will last a while in the soil, couple weeks. Many of them like Roundup do not last, do not affect anything not already sprouted out of the ground.

It's good to use 2 different types of herbicide, so resistance doesn't happen.

If you grow a mix of crops in the same field it can be _very_ difficult to find a spray that will kill the weeds but not the different crops.

That's a very basic quick primer on spraying weeds, an exact plan takes more planning & details, just giving you a big outline so you can ask more questions.

For notill, you need a good nonselective herbicide like Roundup before you plant, and then follow up again with another spray about a week or 2 after the crop comes up. Rarely does only one pass of herbicide work unless you really really study up on what you are doing, and don't have bad weeds to start with.....

--->Paul

/ Let's discuss herbicide application for foodplots #10  
Most no-till practices incorporate round-up or any other similar type 41% gly produce. Generally the field is sprayed it usually takes about 10 days for the product to brown and die off. After that planting is usually done. Generally, your going to get some sprout up of new unwanted weeds because the herbicide since it's post emergence and has to make contact with the plant theres some thats gonna get missed so a second spraying is almost always necessary. Hence using Round-up ready seed because about the time new weeds start to sprout is the same time corn and beans will appear usually in the two-three leaf stage is going to be the best time to re-apply.

If you don't already have a sprayer your going to want to invest in one and one with a boom set-up. The boom sprayers put out a finer mist, give better coverage of crops and can spray between row crops to help minimize injury to the plants.