Chufa

/ Chufa #1  

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, CaseIH Farmall 35A, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
Has anybody ever planted chufa in early spring? Last year for various reasons I did not get to plant food plots. I have been wanting to try chufa for the spring turkey season but most information that I read says planting early to late summer. Anybody tried anything different with sucess?

/ Chufa #2  
Planted two years in a row in May. Plants grew pretty good during summer, fighting a lot of weeds, but making it. First year the turkeys did not find it until the next spring. Game warden checked the fields because the turkeys were there so much he was sure we had corn out.

This past season the nuts matured and the turkeys destroyed the fields in the fall. Once they are done with the fields it looks like hogs have been there.

Turkeys LOVE chufa.

/ Chufa #5  
Squirrels do too. Tried planting it about 4 years ago and the squirrels dug it all up and ate it before it even sprouted.

/ Chufa
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like I will need to wait until mid-spring or so to plant. Chufa is new to me too Creekbend. I have been reading about it and it sounds like it would work well for Turkeys which is my prime target.

/ Chufa #8  
I was going to plant it until I found out it's in the sedge family. If you've ever had the displeasure of crossing paths with yellow nutsedge then you'll understand why I didn't.

/ Chufa #9  
I was going to plant it until I found out it's in the sedge family. If you've ever had the displeasure of crossing paths with yellow nutsedge then you'll understand why I didn't.

The roots and nuts look a lot like "nut grass" but believe it, if you have turkeys in the area it will not spread.

/ Chufa #10  

Well, it is not exactly in the same family... IT IS THE SAME SPECIES!

Cyperus esculentus = Chufa = Yellow Nutsedge = Nutgrass for the southern boys

Why in the heck would anyone plant yellow nutsedge?:confused2: