Food plot and wet ground question

/ Food plot and wet ground question #1  

Mitigator33

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E
I am trying to get my spring plots in. The cutoff for most of the seed in my zone is 2nd week of March. However, the weather has not cooperated. I have 5 plots that I am planting smaller seed such as alfalfa and clover as well as some chicory. The plots are so wet when I disked it turned very good and the ground is staying muddy to the point my tractor causes ruts. I broadcast my lime a few weeks back and disked it in as well as my fertilizer. When I went to sew seed today my cultipacker turned into a mud roller and was not useable.

My land is 1.5 hrs away so I can't waste trips and I don't have that much time. So today I just packed 2 fields as best I could given the soil condition then broadcast seed with hand spreader and left it. I was planting clover. The reason for not doing a follow up cultipacker was the mud clumping and sticking to my packer. I did not want to just rearrange seed. To compensate for the potential poor germination rate I added a little more seed.

The question is did I do the right thing here?

The next problem is that it is going to rain 2 more days this week and the 3 fields that were so bad I left them alone have to be planted next weekend. They have already been limed and disked as well as fertilized so I am just going to hit them with a packer and or pull behind fence drag then seed them and leave alone. I plan on upping my seed again.

How does that plan sound and can I still expect good results?

Thanks

/ Food plot and wet ground question #3  
I think you have done the best you can in you situation. Your only other option is to let it dry out, which may not be a bad idea.

/ Food plot and wet ground question #4  
The seed probably got rained in to some extent, if that makes you feel any better. I avoid working wet gound as much as possible because none of my equipment works well in the mud. It is not late enough that your seeds will sprout and then get burnt off by hot sun, so that is a good thing too.

/ Food plot and wet ground question #5  
"The cutoff for most of the seed in my zone is 2nd week of March. " :confused:

I'm not from alabama! So is some one telling you when you can plant and can not plant? The Game Department, county agent? :confused2:

/ Food plot and wet ground question
moored4 said:
"The cutoff for most of the seed in my zone is 2nd week of March. " :confused:

I'm not from alabama! So is some one telling you when you can plant and can not plant? The Game Department, county agent? :confused2:

Just recommended seed planting dates for my area in Alabama. I also talked to ag extension office and seed manufacturer.

/ Food plot and wet ground question #7  
I think it will be just fine.

Oldstuff

/ Food plot and wet ground question #8  
Just recommended seed planting dates for my area in Alabama. I also talked to ag extension office and seed manufacturer.

If a field is as wet as you say then I wait till it dried out some. It's not like your harvesting the food crop but what it brings to you!

/ Food plot and wet ground question #9  
It will be interesting to see what the results will be. My biggest concern would be with planting in muddy conditions is a lot of times it will develop a crust once it dries out and the seedlings have a rough time pushing through. You might be Ok though since small seeds are generally just broadcast and packed so the wet soil might actually help with your seed to soil contact which would improve germination. Keep us posted on the results so I know if I can plant when the soil is like this. :D

/ Food plot and wet ground question #10  
Planting in mud---you're wasting your time and seed. Let the field dry and then plant. If it's a little late in the season by the time you can plant, why worry. Either the crop makes it or it doesn't. We're all at the mercy of the weather:eek:. I'm sitting here with a cover crop on my 6 acre hayfield and only about 9 inches of rain so far in the wet season (Nov thru May here). Normal is 18" per year. 60% chance of rain late today and tomorrow. Hope it shows up this time.