Deer plot for bowhunting in KY

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
nephew in law wants a plot to bowhunt here in southern KY. What would be the best thing to plant? I have the equipment to put in anything. Turnips? Alfalfa?

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #2  
I have used Imperial Whitetail Clover for early fall and late summer. Try buck forage oats for the fall late october to end of the season plot. The deer in my location realy like these plots but we have a lot of timber and not a lot of crops where I hunt. Ive tried turnips never had any luck with them. The alfalfa is also a good choice.

In Monroe co. area they have started growing soybeans in areas that have never seen a crop grown before this is changing how the deer use the food plots in this area. Dont for get about the acron crop that hits in early to mid october when they start dropping all bets a off on any food plot. :thumbsup:

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #3  
If it where me, I'd go with Alfalfa if it grows well there. then in the fall use a no-till drill and plant oats in the same spot, or not, but Alfalfa will be there for a few years.
The good thing is you can bale the Alfalfa if it's a big enough plot, to recoup some of your expenses and it will also improve your soil.

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #4  
I have had good results with Ladino clover in my food plot.

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #5  
I have used Imperial Whitetail Clover for early fall and late summer...I have too. It was the no till and after 3 years is still brining them down to our one field. I did buy some seed from stock seed company, I liked their mix. And the prices were good.

/ Deer plot for bowhunting in KY #6  
I plant winter rye (not rye grass, rye grain) and purple top turnips. Cost is very reasonable: rye 16.99/50 lbs, turnips 2.99/ lb. Seeding rates for rye: 100-110 lbs/ acre, turnips 3-5 lbs/acre. Rye grows and thrives in just about all soil types, will stay green all winter long, and if left to mature will have a bunch of food for turkeys and such. I usually plant mine in mid-September for a very lush plot in bow season, carrying over to early November firearms season. I usually plant the turnips about the same time. The deer love the greens, and as the bulbs mature later on, they'll dig them up. I've heard lots of folks don't have any luck with turnips, but they're cheap enough, why not give them a try. This link, Winter Rye versus Winter Wheat - QDMA Forums will give you tons of info. HTH Mark