Herbicide spreaders

/ Herbicide spreaders #1  

Terry Weis

Tractor
Ford
I am looking to buy a herbicide spreader. Initially I just intend to spray roundup on 7 acre before i plant a food plot. But I may use later on all 21 acres of my farm. Anyone have a recommendation on a good spreader pulled by ATV or small tractor?

/ Herbicide spreaders #2  
I am looking to buy a herbicide spreader. Initially I just intend to spray roundup on 7 acre before i plant a food plot. But I may use later on all 21 acres of my farm. Anyone have a recommendation on a good spreader pulled by ATV or small tractor?

Spreader or sprayer?

/ Herbicide spreaders #3  
Terry, there are a lot of cheap units and a few good ones. Th major differences will be in the pump and the seals inside the pump.

Probably the very best 4 wheeler mounted unit I have ever seen comes form Superior Outdoor Power in Superior Nebraska. They make the very best unit I have seen. On the other end will be the cheap ones sold at the farm and home and big box stores.

The money spent on quality on the front end will pay for years to come. The right number of nozzles, the right kind of nozzles and a pump that can put the right volume at the right pressure is critical.

/ Herbicide spreaders #4  
So you are looking for a sprayer. You will be better off getting a 3 point sprayer for your tractor with around 110 gallon tank for 7 acres. What size tractor is it and do you have PTO? Get good quality diaphragm spray bodies and shy away from broadcast nozzles or the common deflecta tips sold on a lot of sprayers today. While they will do OK for RU or pre-emergents, you will get better coverage with other herbicides with flat fan tips. Just be aware of herbicide drift when choosing tips and don't spray when condition are unfavorable.

Do a lot of research on this prior to deciding on what to purchase.

/ Herbicide spreaders
I have a Ford 1210
Yes with PTO.
Yes a sprayer

From what I've read RU and some other herbicides are applied at 10-20 gallons per acre. So if I needed to treat 20 acres that's 200 to 400 gallons. Using an ATV mounted 25 gal tank I am thinking it would take most of a weekend?
So pulling a 110 gal tank behind the tractor sounds more practical.
If anyone can recommend 2-3 mfr and models I should look at that would be most appreciated.
Thanks

/ Herbicide spreaders #6  
I have a Ford 1210
Yes with PTO.
Yes a sprayer

From what I've read RU and some other herbicides are applied at 10-20 gallons per acre. So if I needed to treat 20 acres that's 200 to 400 gallons. Using an ATV mounted 25 gal tank I am thinking it would take most of a weekend?
So pulling a 110 gal tank behind the tractor sounds more practical.
If anyone can recommend 2-3 mfr and models I should look at that would be most appreciated.
Thanks

A lot of sprayers are similar from different Mfg. May be easier to list some features which you may find beneficial to compare against each other.

1) Diaphragm spray bodies by Tee Jet or similar.
2) Boom length
3) Ability to raise or lower the boom for different crops.
4) Tank size.
5) Ability of tank to run nearly empty. (low sump area)
6) Breakaway booms
7) Pump type.

With your Ford 1210 (thats 16 engine HP right) with a weight of 1,334 lbs and 3 point lift cap of 880 lbs - according to tractor data. Unless working with flat ground I would stay around a 50 gal tank. If I looked at the right Ford 1210 data if not I apologize.

Fimco makes trailer models in that size. Don't care for their spray bodies and tips but it is an easy, inexpensive, swap.

Trailer Sprayers - FIMCO

http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/spraying-equipment/LG603PT.htmlhttp://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/spraying-equipment/LG603PT.html

/ Herbicide spreaders
Thanks Smallplot
Yes I think those specs are accurate on the 1210

/ Herbicide spreaders #8  
If u have not used a sprayer before,?

U need to think ahead about what size you should buy, Or build... If some one tells you u need a 100 plus gallon sprayer to spray roundup or 24d on 5 acres, Ill be quick to disagree with them. Unless thats the only reson/thing you will be using it for.

Generally speeking you will only spray 2-3 times per year,.But,.., There are always the little touch up jobs that keep your sprayer busy. Especially,..And probablly, you will be using a roundup mix 2 kill random weed patches.

IF mixing up a few water based batches is too much 4 u ... Maybe dealing with the over flow makes more sence, I dunno.

I have built several sprayers, 4 to be exact, The most popular and widely used is the 35 gallon units.

The most common used spray mix is 15 gallons per acre. Thats, 1 quart of roundup per 15 gallions

Dont plan on running the tank dry,.It wont happen.

Theres always several gallons left in the tank when the pump starts suckin dry.

All that means is that, a 35 gallon tank is good for 2 acres.@ 15 gal per acre, I dont recomend mixing batches that arent going to to be used in the very near future. Its just, common sence.

Ill post pics of my sprayer build so u can see what is {most deserable} for small acarege applications.

The problem with the bigger tank wise sprayer units is,..When you have left over chemical,.You need to deal with it.

My answer has been to use the 15 gal plastic drums to pump out the roundup,.Or the 2 4 d ,.So I can mix up a differeent batch.

That allows me to spray for broad leaf and dander lyon plants on my yard., Or switch back to roundup.

Without worrying about the existing chemical in the sprayer tank,..So If u think going big is the answer? Where are u going to store the large amounts of chemical when u want to change your batch?

It guess it really depends on how much u need to spray before u switch? 100 plus gallons of spray is a cool 6.5 acre batch.

Think about that, before u mix up a batch of chemical thats gona cover 6.5 acres. And u dont have a tank big enough to store the left over batch, Out of a 100 plus gallon tank. If u decide u want to spray 24d. OR vicea versa?..

Iam using my own experinces with my posting, your experiences my differ.:)

kubotakid USA

Last edited:
   / Herbicide spreaders #9  

We offer a nice 25 gallon 3pt. hitch pto driven sprayer that will work really good behind a small tractor. It is made in NC and comes with a 12' folding boom(or 8' if 12' is too big), a pistol grip handgun and 25' of hose for spot spraying. You'll find it here on our website with several pics and a video. Our sprayers ship free within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC to a business or supporting freight terminal. I hope this helps.