ATV Lime DROP Spreaders

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #1  

clvickers

Tractor
Kubota L3830
I've been doing some searching regarding ATV based Drop Style Lime Spreaders for dispensing BULK AG LIME on hunt club food plots.

From what I can tell there are only three companies that have equipment designed specifically to do this. They are

The Better Spreader ($2,400.00)

GroundBuster
- 500 Lb. Economy Lime Spreader ($1,295.00)
- 1000 Lb. Economy Lime Spreader ($1,950.00)
- 1000 Lb. Deluxe Lime Spreader ($3,150.00)

Lil Limer ($2,400.00)

Both "The Better Spreader" and Lil Limer companies only have a single piece of equipment to do this whereas Groundbusters has multiple configurations of their piece of equipment.

One of the key features I'm looking for is the ability to "Lock out the dispensing mechanism" when moving between locations with the equipment filled with lime or fertilizer.

It seems that only the Lil Limer (using a Hub Key) and the Groundbuster "DELUXE" model (locks out when dispensing ports are closed) provide this ability.

Has anyone used any of these or do you know anyone that has used any of these devices???

When discussions about these come up most folks immediately talk about how the equipment will only be used once ever 2-3 years depending upon the PH of the soil. However, my thoughts are that these are more than just for spreading lime in that they should also be able to spread fertilizer on the plots every year as well. I would think their versatility in that respect could make the cost of them a little more palatable.

ANY thoughts, comments, discussions on these would be helpful and GREATLY appreciated.

Tks
Carlie

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #2  
I own a one ton Lil Limer. It works great for Dolomite Lime and Ag lime if it's real dry and powdery otherwise it binds and turns to into a very thick sticky muddy mess.

I have put down probably 60 to 80 ton with it.

I would have to say I'm on the bubble with it.

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #3  
The Lil Limer isnt made too far from here. I have a friend that uses one and likes it. I lime for my truck patches and I use a Gandy drop spreader. I just cut one down for a fellows green plots.

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #4  
You can apply poultry litter and fertilizer and some larger sized seeds with a drop spreader. I don't use mine that way however....so far I use mine for lime. I think this is true of most folks with drop spreaders. I have a seeder and a cone spreader for fertilizer.

I have not priced a load of poultry litter....but it may be of interest at some point.

Some of us here on TBN have found older drop spreaders by New Idea, International, John Deere, and EZ Flow. The EZ Flow is the most popular model and made them for several other companies.

You can still find these if you look long and hard for one....but sadly....many are rusting away. They are too small for most farmers these days so they are no longer made.

I have heard good things about the brands you listed.....they are just kinda expensive for occasional needs.

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #5  
Just got this idea from a neighbor. Puts ag lime in a manure spreader on top of horse manure (pentiful for free around here). No dust plus multitasking.

/ ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #6  
I put down 24 tons (48,000 lbs) with an ATV and my modified EZ Flow spreader yesterday. It was a long day....but I got it all done with 42 spreader loads and my 400 Kawa.....and my tractor and loader. :thumbsup:

I have a modified EZ Flow spreader that I cut the hopper down to six feet wide. Perfect for forested land!

Attachments

• land 045 (640x480).jpg
    land 045 (640x480).jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • land 056 (640x480).jpg
    land 056 (640x480).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,023
  • land 061 (640x480).jpg
    land 061 (640x480).jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • land 052 (640x480).jpg
    land 052 (640x480).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 3,721
   / ATV Lime DROP Spreaders #7  
How big are the food plots you'll be working?