Brillion Seeder

/ Brillion Seeder #1  

deerfarmer4life

Tractor
Kubota l3800
I picked up a brillion at an auction and was curious to if there was more to using it then just dragging it across the ground.

I also would like any tips to planting beans with it.

/ Brillion Seeder #2  
Brillion I have used to plant grass seed required seed bed preparation. There were two seed boxes for different sized seeds. selection of correct seed box is important so you get the correct seeding rate. Make sure seed channels are not stopped up. Mine had a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower seeder. Seed drops when lowered, not when in up position, allowing tight turns at end of rows. All of the ground engaging packing rollers should roll free, not mudded up.

/ Brillion Seeder #3  
Find out the model number of that seeder and then get the operator manual (parts and service manuals are nice to have also). That way you won't waste seed trying to figure out how to setup the seeder.

Good luck.

/ Brillion Seeder #4  
I don't know what type of Brillion you have but I have a 5' 3pt hitch Brillion. I use it for small food plots and such. I have never planted beans with it (use an International 5100 Soybean special or an International 56 4 row planter). For grasses and other small seeds there should be a rate chart under the lid to get you close to your ideal rate. The ground should be firm enough you can bounce a basketball on it (at least that was what I was told) or firm enough that you can walk on it without leaving depressions from your boots/shoes.

My brillion is engaged as soon as you lower it to the ground. One row of packer wheels drives a chain which turns the seed cups. As soon as you lift it the wheels quit turning as does the seed cups so no seed will come out.

/ Brillion Seeder
Ive got the Brillion sure stand 3pt 6ft model.

If i till the soil lightly and then plant wont the seeder itself compact the soil enough?

I suppose i could run it over the soil with out seed in if first and then plant

Ive planted row crops, just got this brillion for 400 bucks at an auction and didnt really know how to use it, just know at the price it was a steal around here.

/ Brillion Seeder #6  
Ive got the Brillion sure stand 3pt 6ft model.

If i till the soil lightly and then plant wont the seeder itself compact the soil enough?

I suppose i could run it over the soil with out seed in if first and then plant

Ive planted row crops, just got this brillion for 400 bucks at an auction and didnt really know how to use it, just know at the price it was a steal around here.

I personally think you would be ok for what your trying to do. If your trying to get a perfect stand then you will want to have perfect seed bed preperation. If your just planting food plots then don't worry so much. I would run across it one direction first then plant the field at a different angle so you can see where you have been.