Seed roller

/ Seed roller #1  

cassidykk

Tractor
John Deere 1026R
Do you feel it is necessary to roll your seed bed after seeding? If so, what do you use, cultipacker or some other device?

/ Seed roller #2  
It is of the ut-most importance to seat your seed. Cultipackers do a fine job. It's what I use

/ Seed roller #3  
Good seed to soil contact is important. How you achieve it is less so. I do not have a cultipacker but have used a roller and in isolated plots, used the ATV to pack down.

/ Seed roller #5  
I don't use a roller. Just lightly disc over seed. Haven't had a problem with sorghum, millet, turnips, rape yet. That said, I'd love to have one just to have one :) and I'm sure there is a failure rate higher with my method than doing it the proper way, but it works.

/ Seed roller #6  
I use a 6' crows foot packer because thats all I have. Its always done a fine job. If I had nothing at all I'd get a cultipacker.

/ Seed roller #7  
I use a home made drag, made with wired together old tires. I have used 4 gauge cattle panel and that worked to, but I think a cultipacker would be the correct way to go if you doing it for a " high score":laughing:

/ Seed roller #9  
you definitely want good seed to soil contact. I don't always cultipack certain things like oats or rye that gets planted a little deeper usually can do ok with planting and getting a hard rain to get the seed to soil contact. On smaller seeds like brassicas or clovers I always cultipack. The seeds that are that small usually only need like a 1/4 planting depth so if you move soil over them it usually gets them too deep. I have had much better success just spreading them on top of the soil and then letting the packer work them in.

/ Seed roller #10  
A cultipacker does so much more than just pushing seeds in. One, it firms the seed bed prior to broadcasting small seeds. With firming the seedbed, it will also close up many voids where the small seeds can fall in deeper and then not be able to germinate and reach the surface. Packing the seedbed will also help conserve moisture. The V shaped pattern left by a cultipacker will also keep moisture in the bottoms of the Vs and provide some limited protection against runoff.