Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Roundup and rain?

I sprayed my plots today with 250 gallons of generic Roundup (Tractor Supply brand). As I was leaving, rain was threatening. I am not sure if it rained where I sprayed, but there was rain in the area. It would have started several hours after I finished. My question is: how long does Roundup have to stay in contact with folliage to be effective? Would a light rain several hours after application cause ineffective results? This rain was unexpected. Hope I did not waste 5 gallons of herbicide!

Tractor
    2015 Kubota M7060HD

As long as the chemical was dry you should be fine
    I like to push buttons that I dont know what they do to find out. Theres some I wont push anymore

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Default Re: Roundup and rain?

It depends on how strong the dilution was, how much was applied, what the temperature was, how dry the plants were, how long it was before it rained, and how much rain fell.

You will know in about a week. I wouldn't worry too much.

A field next to me gets sprayed by a local company, who always insists on spraying all the way into the corner of the field. The area is clearly manicured lawn, (by me), and not part of the corp. The operator seems to be about as bright as a tow truck driver, so each year he sprays the grass, (along with of course 1-3 feet of my lawn along the property line). This year, I was home when he sprayed, and I dumped several FEL buckets of water on the grass in the corner, almost right after he sprayed it. Most of it still died.

Elite Member

Straight from my jug of Round-up,

"RAINPROOF Protection: Rain or watering 30 minutes after application will NOT wash away effectiveness."

What does yours say ???
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Some of the generic stuff is about 2 hours for a good kill.

This may help:
    https://vdsc.com/ReferenceMaterials/...%207-05-12.pdf
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    Kioti CK30

I did the same thing a little over a week ago. Put out several 25 gallon tanks on some well established and fairly tall bermuda, fescue, bahaia and general weeds. I was not expecting rain but it came, and pretty hard. The round up knock off that I used said 2 hours. I must have met the criteria because the plots had lots of brown yesterday. Definitely, some grasses kill better than others. My application seems to have put a big kill on all weeds, and did fine witht he grasses except for fescue. May have to hit them again, but will mow first and see what it looks like.
    Kioti CK30, KL130 FEL with Markham Toothbar, Land Pride 6' Mower, Atlas 6' BB,KK Tiller, KK Bushhog, Chisel Plow, Howse 66" Disc, 7' Spike Tooth, Hollow 300 Seeder

Tractor
    Kubota L5740

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    It depends on how strong the dilution was, how much was applied, what the temperature was, how dry the plants were, how long it was before it rained, and how much rain fell.

You will know in about a week. I wouldn't worry too much.

A field next to me gets sprayed by a local company, who always insists on spraying all the way into the corner of the field. The area is clearly manicured lawn, (by me), and not part of the corp. The operator seems to be about as bright as a tow truck driver, so each year he sprays the grass, (along with of course 1-3 feet of my lawn along the property line). This year, I was home when he sprayed, and I dumped several FEL buckets of water on the grass in the corner, almost right after he sprayed it. Most of it still died.
    Next time this happens contact the company and the local ag dept as this is a violation of chemical application and is enforcable. Take pictures before and will help. You dont not have to deal with chemical overspray........ There was a similar thread on TBN where a land owner lost several feet each year of his hay/grass field after the neighbor sprayed his. Imagine the farmers take if you killed his crop every year !!!

OP you should be fine unless it was a big downpour within the hour of appplication. After 10 days you should see yellowing and wilting of the plants. I just did my food plots last week. Got them planted and had a little shower. hoping for more rain.
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

As long as it was dry or on plants for a few hours your fine. Not all branded roundup is 30 mins i think some is an hour, other generics unless really rain fast kind is from a few hours to 6 hours. I think an hour in the summer is fine.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
    Next time this happens contact the company and the local ag dept as this is a violation of chemical application and is enforcable. Take pictures before and will help. You dont not have to deal with chemical overspray........ There was a similar thread on TBN where a land owner lost several feet each year of his hay/grass field after the neighbor sprayed his. Imagine the farmers take if you killed his crop every year !!!
    I have the company that sprays around here on notice. They know that they will be coming out here with their check book, the next time they kill any substantial portion of my grass. They really don't care if they do, or not, since they a known around here for repeatedly doing it.

Unfortunately, the area I was mainly referring to is not my property. It is the front corner adjacent to my lawn. it does not get planted by the farmer, because it is outside the turning radius of the planter. It winds up an eyesore each year, because the local spray company kills the grass, and the weeds take it over. I used to kill the weeds and help the grass move back into it, but they keep killing it, so I gave up.

The farmers here consider most non-farm residents intruders. If the world was the way they think it should be, the land would all be theirs. So, you can't have a fair discussion of how to handle a problem like this. If you get on their bad side, they have lots of way of making you miserable.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130 DT

Hello HCJtractor,
    How did your application turn out? Did the rain have any effect? I've wondered about this since I've had close calls with rain after spraying and always use the TSC brand (which does a great job).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast