Catch and Release??

/ Catch and Release?? #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I had always thought that bass fishermen had a good thing going with the concept of "catch and release". If you don't want to clean a bunch of fish, then just let them go. I think I may have come up with a deer version.

Yesterday, I took off work early, took a scent free bath, put on hunting gear washed in scent free soap (early in my bowhunting career I got scent-busted too many times). I got to the ladder stand about 4pm, about 2 1/2 hours before dark. I had a couple of limbs to trim for a shooting lane so I did not immediately pull up my bow. As I was about to pull it up I noticed these guys making their way to the field

2012-10-19_16-34-50_71.jpg

2012-10-19_16-38-18_391.jpg

I gave them a little time to graze and then began taking pictures, so they slowly moved away. I pulled my bow up and got ready for hopefully some deer action. About 6pm a nice doe came in from my left. There was no cover on that side so I had to just let her graze, as she made her way to the front, and then to the right of my stand. I waited until a perfect time to stand up, lift my bow over the railing of the ladder stand, and draw for a perfect shot.

I let the arrow fly and saw it sailed right over her back as she ducked. She darted away and ran safely into the woods. It was at that time that I thought about the "catch and release".

OK, so maybe I am stretching the "catch" part, but it was fun, and I did not have to clean a deer. And the doe handled the "release" part like a big bass just swimming away. Oh, and I had been practicing a lot at 20 yards. I checked the distance and she was only 11 yards from my tree. I have already asked for a range finder for Christmas.

/ Catch and Release?? #2  
Sounds like fun. Just getting out is worth it. A friend told me sometimes he'd throw a line in the water that didn't even have a hook on it. ;)

/ Catch and Release?? #3  
Where I come from you always put a hook on the line, if you don't if someone might come up on you and you would look bad. So if we have a hard week we just don't bait the hook, that way all you have to say is "they got my bait again" and you still don't have to put up with pesky fish disturbing your nap.:D

/ Catch and Release?? #4  
I'd say you caught and released those turkeys. Wish our place was close enough that I could come home from work, climb into the tree stand and just sit and watch for awhile with a camera.

/ Catch and Release??
I'd say you caught and released those turkeys. Wish our place was close enough that I could come home from work, climb into the tree stand and just sit and watch for awhile with a camera.

I agree. That can be some of the most enjoyable "hunting". I just get excited knowing (1) I planted something that the wildlife find useful and (2) I can sit there, right in their world, and they never know I am around (well some of the time they do not know I am around)