First Food Plot with a Question

/ First Food Plot with a Question #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
After a 20 year layoff I started hunting again last year. Usually just put out corn and apples. I have even hung a bag of apples from a mesh sack on a limb above the ground to attract deer and it seems to work good.

This September I plant a small section for a food plot to see how it would do and it looks good. I had left the fence up around the garden area since the deer would have destoryed the food plot before it had a chance to grow.

My question is: The food plot seems to be established good. I usually hunt this area when gun season starts the week of Thanksgiving (bow hunt around the oaks on other parts of the property). I was thinking about taking the fence down a week before Thanksgiving. Should I wait till then or take it down now?

I have a lot of tracks in the field but they have not crossed into the food plot. We have tons of acorns right now and they are eating those.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    934.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 407
   / First Food Plot with a Question #2  
Nice plot,brassicas?Deer love the acorns for sure.Looks like a fairly small plot,I would think the deer would devour that rather quickly.

/ First Food Plot with a Question
This is a mixture I bought at my farm supply dealer. One type is greens, everything from turnips, radish, peas, etc. The other is oats and peas. Two of the rows are 20' x 180' with the other 30-40' x 180'.

My thinking was they may eat it down quickly. Thats why I wanted to wait until the week before gun season to take the fence down. But a few friends are saying take it down now since there are a abundance of acorns this year.

/ First Food Plot with a Question #4  
Have so many acorns in this part of the state that deer are not using food plots much.

/ First Food Plot with a Question #5  
Healthy looking plants. Have you taken the fence down, yet? Please post a pic after a couple of weeks of no fence.

/ First Food Plot with a Question
I took the fence down this past weekend, 10/3/12. I put the camera up and plan to go get it this weekend. Due to dial up at home I will post new pics next week.