This years Deer

/ This years Deer #31  
I too am interested in what you used to make the knife? A file? And where do you get your supplies from? Congrats on a great deer and a beautiful knife.

/ This years Deer
Well I thank you for the compliment on deer and Knife.
Back in the mid 80s I was a saw filer for a large lumber company her in maine. I took home a peice of the worn out saw blade that I used to sharpen called "Sash Gang" There were 48 saws all 6 feet long all facing the same direction spaced 7/8 of an inch apart. They hung in a saw rig kinda like the same way a window sash is hung in this fashion they could saw a log up to 4' in diameter a one time and you would get 48 boards at once.
Anyway,.. I made a Machete and it came out ok and about 3 years ago I decided to try to make a knife from a piece I had left over. This is an extreamly high quality steel about 1/8 - in thickness and flexable.That first knife was perty dam crude let me tell you but I had fun making it.The knife you saw in the photo was number 14 or 16 ? can't remember.
As far as supplies I dont buy any really, I went back to the mill 2 years ago and asked for some worn out blades and got a few more. The wood, well that peice came from my wood pile ( fire wood that is ) It is a peice of cherry I think.I have used beach ,maple,ash,and easter white ceder(sp) The rivets are a short peice of 1/8 inch brazing rod with the flux knocked off. The brass came from a metal stamp buisness here in maine.I had the steel tested on thier rockwell hardness mechine it tested like 58 or so I think. The guy was so impressed with my knife work he gave me a few small sections of flat bar brass, about 2" long each. I used to work in the Tannery here at home and buy my leather there, scraps mostly couple bucks for a 2'x2' section or larger. I did have the hand sewing thread from a friend that used to hand sew Dexter shoes at home and tought me how to sew a little. If I can answer anything else just ask but to be brutally honest I am not very good compared to some but my work suits me well.I have also used bearing races for blades as well but that is another story all together.

/ This years Deer #33  
View attachment 287166View attachment 287167

Here are 2 photos for you hope they come through ok.

Thanks for posting...love the knives and the tradition that you make one for each hunting year...nice work they are beautiful...with your blessing I think I'm going to start the same tradition...hopefully to pass on to my son...again, thank you.

Rich

/ This years Deer #35  
Well broke the ice;shot a nice 8pt.180lbs this morning.This is the nineth buck I have seen and the first with a decent rack.Lots of spikes and four points.I think this is the one my daughter-in-law missed last wk.I had six does in front of me first thing and a spike came out of the swamp to bother them.Had a couple of the does directly beneath the stand and thought I would get busted.I noticed a large doe at 150 yards and right behind her was this buck.Took the first shot I had and he dropped in his tracks.I was using my favorite gun;TC Encore in 25/06 with Nosler partion bullets.

Very nice, congrats

/ This years Deer
Bigreenavalanch,.....Well thats great to hear, get started soon and have fun. Dont get discouraged your firs may or may not be what you want. My first is a pirate looking thing that hangs on my shop wall as a warning that I can only get better.
There is a web site somthing like Texas Knife works or company? and they have pre made blades, handel scales ,pins both corbal and brass style leather sheath kits ect ect. I prefer to do everything the hard way ( just a stuborn Mainer ).
If I can ever help just msg me and I will try.I have some other knives around here maybe I can show you some others sometime. I made one for a friend of mine in northern Maine last year and It really has my attention.The sheath is an embaressment for sure.But the knife is the most comfortable I have ever held. His hand's are meaty and short fingered so the beach handel was designed by me specifically for his hand.The sheath was made from left over scrap that I was determined to make use of ( see cheap Mainer) I want to make a copy for myself for next season.It looks kind of radical / strange in blade profile but it is intended to be a skinner of Moose/Deer a lot of contact at the tip portion while holding it at a semi level position. picture an inverted " V" with the v spread way way open maybe instead of a straight line it is tipped up at about 25 degrees at each end very comfortable.This is why I make my own instead of ordering a knife blank someone else thought looked good.
Start with pen and paper and just draw wha you like good luck ,Jeff

/ This years Deer #37  
Second one fell in two days;my son-in-law shot a seven pt.180lbs this morning.Same time as mine 7:45 a.m.Shot in another township that he hunts.Rut is on in northern NY!

Attachments

• 100_1300 (Small).jpg
    100_1300 (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 206
   / This years Deer
Second one fell in two days;my son-in-law shot a seven pt.180lbs this morning.Same time as mine 7:45 a.m.Shot in another township that he hunts.Rut is on in northern NY!

Boy thats a good one.

/ This years Deer #39  
Biggreenavalanche said:
Awesome ! Just a stab in the darK, 155-165 ? Very nice !

Truthfully I don't really know. I need to score him. Never took the time. I do know he grossed enough to hang out on the living room wall!

/ This years Deer #40  
image.jpgimage.jpg

Killed this ole brute sept 16 with my Mathews