Grafted Tomato Plants experience

/ Grafted Tomato Plants experience #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
Was reading about tomato plants that are grafted and was wondering if anybody has any experience and are they worth the extra cost. I guess they're much more popular in Europe and Asia then over here in the Western Hemisphere.

/ Grafted Tomato Plants experience #2  
Never heard of grafted tomatoes.

/ Grafted Tomato Plants experience #4  
i tried grafting some heirloom tomatoes this past spring with very little success but did end up with 4 to plant. they are all doing well and producing tomatoes and are growing in hoophouses or high tunnels. the rootstock is estamino. since we plant tomatoes following tomatoes organically there is a good chance that soil born disease is present. the rootstock is very resistant to soil born disease, or so they say.
my grafting problem was due to improper timing of starting the rootstock seed and the scion seed. the rootstock should have been started a bit ahead of the scion.

/ Grafted Tomato Plants experience
I ended up buying some at costco.

We have few fruit on the plants at this time. The weather has not been good, temp is pretty cold at night and has only recently gotten warm during the day.

I might try grafting this next season or the following. Thanks for the rootstock information and starting it a little ahead of the scion. That makes sense. I've grafted some fruit trees with good success but never tried vegetables.

/ Grafted Tomato Plants experience #6  
I heard some people graft to potatoes. I also saw that tobacco mosaic disease can be spread by cigarette tobacco.