Tractor
    Kioti CK30

Default Playin' Possum

My hunting buddy and his son went by the processing plant last night to pick up their deer meat. As they pulled up a guy was unloading two does from his truck. Seems the guy had shot a doe, the bullet went through the first and got the second one behind the jaw. So, he threw them both in the truck and headed for the processor. If we can get the deer to the plant in a short time, the processor prefers to field dress them himself. (works for me)

Well, they slit the legs on the first deer, hooked it, and began to raise it up. At that commotion, the second deer jumped from the back of the truck, crashed into the big door and was about to get away. They got a rope on it, put it out of its misery, and strung it up.

Things ain't always the way they appear.
    Kioti CK30, KL130 FEL with Markham Toothbar, Land Pride 6' Mower, Atlas 6' BB,KK Tiller, KK Bushhog, Chisel Plow, Howse 66" Disc, 7' Spike Tooth, Hollow 300 Seeder

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Playin' Possum

yep..you just never know.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Reminds me of a fellow I worked with.Seems he liked to "jack" deer.Shot one ,jumped out of the truck and threw it in the back.He had to drive thru town to get home;wondered why every-one was staring at him as he was driving thru town.It seems the deer "came to" and was standing in the back of the truck.That was the end of his deer poaching.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I've had squirrels do that while in the game pocket of my coat, but never with a deer. That would, most definitely, be a startling experience.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

My Dad's best friend raised and trained coon hounds. In those days, they'd jump a coon out of a tree and watch the fight. Of course the dogs always won eventually. Seemed like a sadistic "sport" to me, but I went along on some hunts when I was a teenager. One time, after the dogs "killed" a coon, and started off to hunt again, I pickup up the coon by the tail, slung it over my shoulder, and started walking. I probably didn't get 30 yards before I felt that coon clawing at my back. Naturally, I turned it loose and got out of the way. It scampered up a very small tree, got shook out again, and was killed in the next fight. It would be my guess that instead of playing possum, it was choked unconscious the first time.
    Bird

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    Reminds me of a fellow I worked with.Seems he liked to "jack" deer.Shot one ,jumped out of the truck and threw it in the back.He had to drive thru town to get home;wondered why every-one was staring at him as he was driving thru town.It seems the deer "came to" and was standing in the back of the truck.That was the end of his deer poaching.
    I know someone rhat did this two years ago in mn. Funniest story I ever heard. Wounded deer running through grand rapids mn.

Tractor
    JD 790, JD2380, Gator

We were pheasant hunting once and had returned to the truck to drop off our brids and
    get a bite and a cold drink. We all emptied out our game bags and lined up the pheasants
    on the tail gate of the pick up. All of a sudden, one got up, jumped off the tail gate, hit
    the ground running and then flew away. No one had a shot as our guns were all unloaded.
    We still laugh about the one that got away.

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

A few years ago, I caught an injured Golden Eagle. Apparently someone had shot it.

Anyway, I cornered it by some brush and threw an old shirt over it. It just completely fell asleep. It was even pretty much motionless going horseback down the mountain. A couple of times we had to check that we weren't carrying away a dead bird.

Anyway, we got it to a local vet, who eventually got it to the local Raptor Rehab Center. And, actually the Vet just put a cover over the eyes to keep it docile.

I assume bagging your pheasant would have been similar to covering the Eagle.